Sunday, April 9, 2017

140 Frightening 4-letter word

A frightening four-letter word!

A four-letter word that strikes fear and dread every spring of the year--Lent!

It may not seem that foreboding or threatening, but it can be overwhelming for a Catholic student or even adult Catholic. What will I give up, how will I do it, will I make it--are thoughts that swirl around inside your head as the season before Easter begins, and Ash Wednesday signals the beginning of the giving-up practice!

I have tried it all-- giving up food, drink, curse words, etc.! Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. 

When I was a kid, it was usually my favorite foods especially any type of candy. In those days, we could have what we gave up on Sundays or holidays during Lent such as St. Patrick’s Day and St. Joseph’s Day. Not so much these days – you have to do without.

Family members would give each other a hard time trying to tantalize them with the forbidden “fruit” so to speak. We usually would be strong knowing our parents, the nuns, priests, and anyone else involved with the church would have something to say if we were ratted out.

As a young adult, I would use the Lenten practice to cut back on passions such as shopping for items I didn’t need. That would work unless I found something I just couldn’t resist. I could always justify why I needed it or how I couldn’t live without it.

At times, I would revert back to my younger days and give up something edible or drinkable. Wine was often the target and that would usually work. I tried soft drinks this year but for some reason, I couldn’t do it. I really don’t drink that many, but they especially tempted me this year.

Last year, I took the challenge of putting items in a bag every day to give away. That
worked really well and helped out the local charities. My husband joined me in the endeavor although most of the time he didn’t know about it. We both have far more things than we ever use. Clothes, housewares, linens --- nothing was safe from my prying eyes as I gathered items from every room in the house. I highly recommend this practice for Lent but don’t start until the first week of Lent. I started too early this year and ran out before I even got to Palm Sunday.

Social media gets into the practices as a photo a day was requested to capture the 40 days of Lent. Not sure I could come up with forty but maybe next year. Pinterest boards offer a few suggestions too.

All in all, I am glad that I grew up with these practices--they do somewhat build character or teach you how to work around and revise as the forbidden items beckon.

If you have never tried, give it a whirl --- the money you save on the “given up” items will often add up to a good donation. I forgot to tell you that--you are also expected to save for a special Lenten donation. Just think when Easter comes, you are ready with a hefty donation, clear conscience, and sometimes a few pounds lost!

So don’t let this four-letter word terrify you – face it, aim for it, and try to do without something you thought you never could.

Frances   





No comments:

Post a Comment