Sunday, April 23, 2017

142 Lost skills




Lost Skills

I recently read a mystery that was written in 1997. That was just 30 years ago, but it reminded me of what the younger generation lacks in knowledge and tools.





When I read older books, I often advise one character or another, "Just use your cell phone!" But in these pre-cell books, they had only land lines and pay phones. In the book I recently finished, the heroine said she had to rent a car with special equipment. I was imagining exotic weapons, but the equipment turned out to be a car phone!

Kids can't relate to that!

On a side note, I vividly remember stretching the telephone cord as far as it would go so I could get a little privacy for a phone call. These days, kids can easily keep conversations private.

The heroine needed to buy a bunch of maps to locate the hidden hideout of the bad guy. I recently tried to buy a local atlas in Florida and could not locate one. One clerk told me no one was buying them anymore because everyone used a cell phone for directions. Maps are especially helpful when the cell phone directions lead you astray.

The main character read old letters to determine clues for the case. But who can read cursive now?





I recently watched an interesting CSpan program about John and Abigail Adams. The commentator said that the correspondence between John and Abigail was wonderful and voluminous. "Communications was transportation," he stated since letters went by horse and wagon and ship. Abigail coped with children and farm while Adams was in England.



I have never been a good letter writer so I can't be too critical. I use email for most communications, but understand that the younger generation is not using it nearly as much as our contemporaries. What kind of historical record will be left from Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, etc.?

I stated in an earlier blog I have been transcribing a Civil War journal. History majors will have to have special training to read cursive just as I had training to read the Elizabethan hand.



Another skill that is lost is using a cassette player. Young volunteers transcribing tape interviews at the library had to be taught how to use a player and be reminded to turn the tape over for the rest of the interview. It seems like record players and vinyl records are coming back, but I am not sure what age group is using them.

I bet there are numerous other skills that are fading away too. What ones can you name?

                   Obsolete-Savvy Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment