Sunday, August 10, 2014

002 Get up and walk

Get up off your feet . . . and walk!

This phrase doesn't make much sense but has been used in song lyrics for many years. 

I added the walking although it really should be "get on your feet and walk," but that loses some of the poetic charm.

Obviously, walking, a skill learned in the early stages of life, has a rather romantic side, according to many popular tunes, while also fulfilling a basic need --- moving from one point to another.

I had no idea how many songs mention walking until I started researching the above phrase. Actually, hundreds of musical compositions have been dedicated to walking -- "Walking after Midnight" by Winchester's very own Patsy Cline (although I don't recommend walking in the dark), "You'll Never Walk Alone," and "Walk on By" --- to mention a few.

I decided walking was exactly the exercise I needed after sitting behind a desk in front of a computer screen for years. I wanted to get in shape after retirement so walking seemed the way to do it since I have no other athletic skills. I had walked for many years but not on a regular basis and never had the time to put in the miles. Now I have the time and so far the inclination. 



JIm Barnett Park
Face it --- walking is something almost everyone mastered about the age of 12 months -- for some, a little sooner or later.

All you have to do is put one foot in front of the other. No special skills, expensive equipment, fitness coach, or fancy outfits needed. Plus, it is free -- no charge for court time, green fees, or any hourly charges.

This involves no running, jumping, biking, or other similar prowess. It is just plain old walking that is used to get from one place to another. Put one foot in front of the other and go.

I hope I haven't lost some of you who might say, "Forget it." Hear me out and give it a try. I know you won’t regret it.

Trish & Tootsie at 3rd Winchester
Trish and her beloved Jack Russell terrier, Tootsie, join me when they are available. We have invited Glenne but 8 a.m. is too early for her to see the light of day. 

Walking is not a competition with any specific time frame so work at your own pace. A uphill slope every once in awhile will help with cardio and get the blood pumping. 
Dogs are definitely a big facilitator of walking. Most people who walk in the Winchester area usually have a dog they are taking out for a reprieve from the home or yard. And you know what purpose it is serving --- the little plastic bags are usually in hand.

Staying away from busy streets is one of our goals. It is more pleasant to seek out trails that are quiet and less congested. But one warning -- stay off wet grass. It can be treacherous.

Don’t think walking is a cure all to losing weight. It helps to maintain, but I like food too much to really drop the pounds. Watching what goes in the mouth (always healthy of course) is very helpful and should be paired with walking.



Some types of walks include destination walks where you actually set out with a specific errand to complete, distance walks where so many miles are the goal, neighborhood walks to check out an area (for sale signs, new neighbors, pesky pets, etc.), circuit walks to get back to your original destination, group walks to catch up on what has been going on, and walks for any other purpose you can imagine. 

Very little equipment is needed but a few items must be checked off.

Proper shoes are important and not outrageously expensive --- Adidas, Nike, and New Balance, to name a few, have products that will keep the feet moving without causing a great deal of pain. Some of the companies even have discount stores offering great sales.

One item I didn't realize was crucial until we recently took a hiking trip to Switzerland --- socks. Some brands (I wear Thorlo) actually can keep away the blisters and other foot problems. They are a little expensive but again sales and discounts are available. You can almost feel the socks comforting your feet. Really I am not exaggerating.

Also foot care is important -- pedicures are amazing to rejuvenate every few months--- even for guys. Try to keep feet hydrated with moisturizers and a good soak in a hot tub will have your feet thinking they are destined for greatness.

Walking sticks have become more and more popular with the senior crowd as they do aid balance and are especially useful for uphill climbs. Prices are reasonable or sticks off trees can be used instead.

Hopefully I haven't lost you yet.

I also recommend some type of headgear -- baseball cap, visor, straw hat --- or whatever suits your fancy as protection from sun, rain, wind or whatever Mother Nature has to offer.

Don't let weather stand in the way. In the summer, walk early in the morning or after it cools off in the evening if it does. Be careful in the rain and snow but proper shoes, hats, and other gear make it possible. If it is really unbearable, head to the gym and the treadmill. Some of the medical insurances offer senior sneakers programs that give free gym membership.

Also, there is an app for that. Apps for walking are available on the Internet and some are free. I turn mine on as soon as I leave the house or start a trail walk. It tells me pace, distance, and calories lost.

We have been checking out area walks others would enjoy. I apologize to those who don't live in the Winchester area of Virginia, including Frederick and Clarke counties, but I am sure you can start working on areas near you. The blog has a separate page of walking locations that I plan to occasionally update.

Be sure to smile and speak to fellow walkers even if you are totally out of breathe from the last hill. My Logan County upbringing demands that I speak to everyone I see. Most times I get a smile back and a greeting.

So join us and "get up off your feet" . . . and walk!
   Frances C. Lowe   

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful Frances! With the help of the pain management clinic I plan on be able to get back to my walking soon. It is a cure for almost everything! Really enjoyed your posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry. Thanks for sharing. Keep me informed of your progress!
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Frances. Enjoy your writing.

    ReplyDelete