Monday, October 6, 2014

010 Walking Tootsie


Just a-Walking the Dog

My dog Tootsie and I have been helping Frances map out walking trails in the area.

It is not difficult for me to get ready—clothes, shoes, hat, sunscreen, phone and I’m done. Gearing up Tootsie and me with all the puppy accoutrements is more difficult.



Tootsie checking out
poopy bags at PetSmart.
One necessity for modern-day dog walking is the poopy bag. You can buy rolls of bags and poopy bag holders at the pet store—designer colors and patterns, scented bags (good scents, I mean). Recyling grocery-store bags works for me. When I want a more designer look, I switch to a gray Walmart bag or a lovely yellow one from some other store. One important thing to check before you take the bag is to make certain it has no holes. Don’t try to imagine the consequences . . . Tootsie is a four-year old Jack Russell Terrier and a strong puller when we walk. It is hard to believe how much pulling strength a fifteen-pound dog has. Cesar Milan, famed television Dog Whisperer, states that the dog owner should be the pack leader and be in front of the dog. I bought a harness that has the lease connection on the front of the chest instead of the top of the dog’s back, which makes pulling impossible.

I consult the printed instructions before each walk because I do not have harness engineering background. Each time I try without the instructions, the harness is hanging loose around the side of her neck and Tootsie is in the alpha dog position again.
In the summer, of course, Tootsie needs water. I have a plastic bottle with an attached bowl. I fill that bottle from the tap, but I have a dog-walking buddy who gives her dog Juno, a Boston terrier, bottled water at home and on walks. I am not sure why because when we walk around her neighborhood, Juno stops at every drain and drinks as much standing water as he can before she can jerk him away! Maybe the expensive water helps rinse him out.

When it looks like it may rain, I take an umbrella for me. I used to put Tootsie’s raincoat in my pocket to use in a heavy rain. We were once caught in a downpour. I juggled my umbrella, the raincoat, Tootsie and her harness in the pouring rain and eventually got her suited up. She stood there in her cute pink raincoat and refused to move. I pulled the lease and dragged her a few inches, but she would not lift a foot off the ground. She now walks in all rain conditions in her natural fur coat.

I also need a pocket full of doggy treats for walks. My husband started this habit on his walks with Tootsie. Whenever anyone wants to pet her, he gives each person a yummy to give to Tootsie. I think she makes some people nervous. When anyone passes, she stops and gives them a fixed stare. I probably don’t help the dog-phobic when I say, “Watch out for Killer.” They must think she sees them as a tasty bite, but the hard stare merely signifies a hunt for doggie treat distributors. It does affect the speed of the walk since Tootsie insists we stop for every possible yummy distribution. I have to carry many treats.

Once we get moving, walks are fun with Frances leading the way as she seeks out new and different walking paths. Tootsie gets very excited when we pull up to a walking site as the video below shows.  Check her out on youtube:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pDPuch5KLc

I think Tootsie's favorite walking path is Third Winchester.  She also likes Shawnee Springs, Sherando Park, and the Clarke County park.  She is happy wherever we walk--as long as The Pack (Tootsie, Frances & Trish) stay together.

We are ready for out next excursion, Frances!

No comments:

Post a Comment