Sunday, March 19, 2017

137 Changes in attitude


“Changes in attitude”

Song lyrics swirl around in my mind as I ponder the state of my world – “. . . changes in attitude, nothing stays the same.”

Jimmy Buffett’s tune seems especially appropriate as we face a world of passwords, social media, telemarketing, web addresses, and much, much cyber more.



Any visit to a web site will ultimately result in a request to sign up, establish an account, and of course come up with an amazing password that no one word ever guess. It really taxes my brain to meet these specifications, especially when I am only seeking some basic information.


In addition, ordering online always requires these accounts that are often never used again so how can we possibly stay ahead of the game.

I’ve decided I can’t and won’t even try anymore!

What bothers me the most is sometimes my attitude really changes and I am far less than cordial when I am asked for a pin I haven’t used in years and have no idea what it could possibly be! I know I should have a safe place somewhere to keep them but often I never use them again. 

I realize these securities are for my own good but give me a break--- does everything really need a pin? Just let me look at the information and move on.

This “change of attitude” I keep hearing in the lyrics makes me do some crazy things to take out my web frustrations. 
I find myself answering telemarketing phone calls (I will answer on purpose sometime when it doesn’t give the name of the caller) so I can release my angry feelings on some unsuspecting target who is telling me I need to renew my car warranty after I have told them a dozen times or more I really don’t.

These calls generally start by saying it may be recorded for monitoring purposes to improve service, but I find that hard to believe. I am sure I would have been charged with indecent, aggressive and threatening language by now if there is such a charge because of the tongue-lashing I administer.

In one instance, after giving the caller a rather pointed piece of my mind, I decided I needed to say more so I called back to add to the tirade --- this was the IRS scam we have all been warned about. That poor schmuck didn’t know what hit him, but I wanted him to know we were on to him, and it sure made me feel better.

While I extol the virtues of technology and would be lost if I ever unplugged, it takes quite an effort to keep it all working smoothly.

I found out recently that my new software that came with my new computer does not work with spyware I had previously purchased that transferred to my new one. 

Boy, you should have heard that conversation with the company who doesn’t bother to let you know its shortcomings. 

After about 30 minutes of asking for a real person and then a manager, a refund is supposed to come in the mail but I doubt if I will ever see it unless I call them back!

Of course, I had to buy another product to protect my computer that had been almost completely shut down after paying the first company for basically nothing. That took hours on the phone trying to get it all resolved.

I feel I deserve a few rants to counter act all the frustrations caused by misinformation or total trickery and navigating the automatic phone systems that will tell you to visit the web site for help when you are calling to say your Internet service is not working.

Buffett’s song lyrics give me a little solace -- “If we couldn’t laugh, we would all go insane.” Yes, laughter is a relief and keeps me from going totally crackers. Music helps too as well as silly TV shows!

But nothing relieves the frustrations like administering a good tongue lashing--of course the person on the other end might disagree. It is certainly therapeutic to me if it is done with reasoning and facts in a rather high-pitched voice.

As I continue on this journey of trying to conquer and keep up with the ever-changing world we live in, I will remember the words of Buffett’s song “. . .changes in attitude, nothing remains the same.”                                                                                                                                                                  
Frances             






No comments:

Post a Comment