Sunday, October 29, 2017

169 Hacks & an update


A couple hacks, an update

I see a lot of household hacks on Facebook--many of them seem to be about baking soda and/or vinegar.

I have a few I think are clever, but who knows--everyone may do the same thing.





Cell Phone Hacks

Those round, annoying small disc batteries whose numbers I can never remember, 
those air filters whose size I can never remember, etc., are all in my photo gallery on my phone. When I go to the store, I can view the image and always buy the right size!



We had to move a hutch for some floor work. I had things arranged in it just the way I wanted so I took a photo so I can easily reconstruct.





General Household Hacks

We use frozen plastic soda bottles in our

portable coolers. We use them over and over. The size in the photo on the right fits perfectly in the bottom of the large cooler, and I just smaller bottles in smaller coolers. The bottles keep some ice frozen for 24 hours. For trips to the store, I keep a few bottle in a grocery bag so I can easily pop them in and out of the cooler.



One of my go-to cleaning tools is the plastic knives that come with take-out food. They scrape surfaces without scratching. Wrap a paper towel or cleaning cloth moistened with water or cleaning solution, and the knife cleans out those narrow spaces around sinks and wooden trim.

Speaking of paper towels, we prefer to dry our hands on paper towels instead of cloth towels. It is a wasteful habit so as soon as they are dry, I store them in a drawer. The damp or dry ones are great for wiping up spills on the floor or wiping food off a plate into the garbage or other jobs that don't need a clean towel. Stepping on a few damp towels and shoving them around the kitchen with my foot is a great clean up between moppings.

An Update

In blog 154, Collecting Nemesis, that was published in July 2017, I shared my obsession with collecting reading figures. To quote myself: "I cherish all those gifts and early acquisitions. The problem is that now that I go to yard sales and thrift shops and can't seem to pass up a reading figure. When they are just a dollar, they don't seem as tacky! I do have standards."

So below is a statue I saw recently at a thrift store. Think I bought it?

Okay, I had not completed my blog today when I went out to a couple more thrift stores. It was a trifecta!

Obsessed but tasteful, Trish






1 comment: