Sunday, November 26, 2017

Shoulder cutouts



119 Shoulder cutouts

Months ago, I noticed a fashion trend that exposed the shoulders about six or seven inches on each side of the garment. I thought ‘wait and see how this plays out.’

Well, guess what! It is everywhere. Shoulder cutouts first showed up on television and sometimes that does not translate to everyday life. But somehow, someway this exposure of the top of the arms has made it into most stores and brands.
From Target

Sweaters, dresses, tee shirts, and any covering of the upper body for women are showing up with the shoulders, sticking out like beacons in the night. When I see something on a rack in a store that catches my eye due to appealing fabric or style, I am often turned away as I realize the shoulders are missing. Often the item may be hanging a little lopsided due to the lack of the top of the garment on both sides so I have learned to not waste my time.

Surely, this trend will not make it through the winter when a cold breeze could blow through the opening and chill the rest of the body. Is this part of the body attractive and needs to be exposed? I don’t think so,
From Macy's

Thank goodness, I have not seen the trend in outerwear but you never know. It has made it to the racks of children’s clothes which is a little odd. Of course, children are cute in just about any style, but not grownups who often need to hide various parts of their bodies.

I like sleeves in my clothes. In fact, I wear them even in warm weather to hide arms that aren’t what they used to be. I shop high and low to find just the right sleeve length to flatter what I have left to flatter.

Some of the items reveal not only a few inches of the shoulder but plunge down the arm for eight or ten inches. I wonder how the sleeves stay in place or maybe they don’t. I have never tried one on so maybe that will be my challenge this season --- to see if the should cutouts will hold up through daily life, such as driving, cooking, computer work, etc.

Evidently, shoulder cutouts have a place in fashion history. This look surfaced more than 20 years ago but was prevalent in more formal attire such as an evening dress. In fact, Hilary Clinton wore the look. According to The Guardian, Donna Karan’s cold-shoulder dress was a favorite of Clinton’s. We definitely see the resurgence in today’s fashion.

Some fashion writers exclaim that exposed shoulders look great on everyone while others say it is time for the trend to bite the dust for now. We all know it will probably resurface again, maybe in another 20 years.

Also, if you look deeper into fashion information, directions are available on how to cut the shoulders out when making or remaking garments. The Pinterest site offers 201 examples of cutouts. You just can’t get away from it.

But we have survived many fashion trends that were not practical --- many really aren’t. I remember the high necks and low cut backs that required various bras that had to be purchased, usually at a high price. I learned to ignore those. I have also learned that if you wore it when you were in your 20s and 30s (such as mini-skirts and strapless dresses), it won’t happen later in life and really shouldn’t. 

Comfort is now the name of the game for me. I recently went on a hunt to find denim pants that looked like jeans but are more like stretch pants. I was successful, but I am not sure they really look like jeans. I will keep trying for the sake of comfort!

So shoulders you may not be bare much longer! Fashion will dictate and cover you back up probably very soon. But don’t worry, you will be exposed again some day.

Frances              

No comments:

Post a Comment