Sunday, March 25, 2018

144 College Queen

Me? A College Queen?I Can Explain!

Many of my friends would think I am the least likely to have been in a college queen pageant. Notice I didn't say beauty pageant--because it was not supposed to be one. I must say, however, that ultimate winner in 1967 was beautiful!

The pageant was held in June 1967. In the fall of 1966, I was editor-in-chief of the Radford College newspaper, the Grapurchat, an unfortunate title. 

To quote the Radford Archives: "Grapurchat was the first student newspaper at Radford College and was published from 1921 until 1978 when the name was changed to the Tartan. "The first two syllables of the word Grapurchat are formed from the colors of the Normal School, [as Radford University was then called], GRAy and PURple. CHAT makes a very appropriate ending."

I received a packet of information from the National College Queen Pageant asking the newspaper to help recruit contestants to vie for the title of Virginia College Queen. Always looking for articles for the paper, especially something different, I ran the story and dutifully placed nomination boxes around campus. Somehow or other, I had told pageant officials that Radford was participating.

Nobody nominated anybody!!!

Think about it. This is a contest, although in its 13th year, that nobody had heard about. It was also a time when college student unrest about the Vietnam War was escalating. Although not at the huge numbers of 1968, demonstrations were growing across the nation. Johnson announced plans for the lottery draft in March of 1967.  

It was embarrassing for the Grapurchat. So, I nominated myself!

Then there was statewide voting. I think there was one other candidate, who was from William & Mary. I guess our students came out strong in the voting because I won! Or no one else cared. I was shocked.

So I went to New York City to represent Virginia. I was a sophomore and only 18 years old since I had started college one year early. Almost all the other contestants were upcoming or graduating seniors and older than me. I took all the tests, met with the judges, and thoroughly enjoyed being with the other participants, staying in the Waldorf Astoria, and touring NYC.


But I had no expectations of winning. And didn't. The closest I came was being next in alphabetical order (by state) to the eventual winner, Judy Hill of Washington state. I did place second in the photography contest!

The pageant aired June 16, 1967, on NBC. Robert Goulet, pictured here with Judy Hill, was the host.
So after 50 years, my secret life is out!      1967 Virginia College Queen--Trish!





No comments:

Post a Comment