Sunday, September 23, 2018

170 Nostalgic September


FALL: Nostalgic September












Dear Readers, I am curious to know when your “new year” starts. It’s now Fall! My new year, as far back as I can remember, started in September. Maybe it was going back to school? The idea of having a clean slate was a new box of crayons–-untouched, unsullied, unbroken. 

The feeling of remembering is a little bit bittersweet. I think this is a good definition of nostalgia. Yes, I could still go buy a new box of crayons but the need and yen for them are gone except in my memory. And new shoes for school, mom’s choice, not mine.

And I just found this cartoon appropriate and funny: 













The granddaughter has just started school this past Monday. Wonder what she will remember? I hope school provides her with wonderful memories.










Over the years, others must have agreed that September is the beginning of a new year. I recall the old poem we all memorized to know how many days are in each month. Our learning the months--just look--it starts with September! 

Add to these memories, the smell of newly baled hay, the crunch of kicking fallen leaves, and, oh, the parents putting us all in the car on Sunday afternoons for a ride to see the fall foliage or pick some apples along the way. 


Well, maybe that goes on the negative nostalgia list as I was wedged in the backseat between two toddlers! And I was in elementary school. Humpf! Too grown up for this, I am sure! And likely not very nice about it!!





Just thought of something else in the nostalgia area of riding in cars: I wish we still had this control in the car! I think of running into deep water, being submerged, and the car’s electrical system won’t work. Wouldn’t it be nice to have this--just roll down the window to swim to survival!

I get nostalgic not only about the smells of September but football games, playing field hockey (I was a mean left wing), brisk nights, and things we just are not able to do anymore--riding bikes without helmets, playing flashlight tag with no supervision, and watching starry skies.



I think it was 1954 when we got our first television. Watching was limited, but I Love Lucy, Gunsmoke, and many news broadcasts were the staples! As a kid, I was the “remote.” Daddy saying: “change to channel 4.” Maybe the remote control ended family togetherness on Sunday afternoons? 

Then there was Blockbuster, (found my card in a desk drawer not long ago), now we have email, texting, tweeting, streaming, Hulu, and Netflix. [Research topic, maybe?]








And, of course, the personal computer has helped erode our need for family interaction. Right now, for example, the dear husband is upstairs in his man cave half-watching something on TV with a newspaper on his lap and I am downstairs on the computer.






So, September has one more week to go. I am feeling nostalgic for the “good old days” when I think life might have been simpler with fewer responsibilities. Maybe the rains are gone for a while and we can enjoy the new fall days.

Wishing you crisp apples and winning football! 

Savvy Glenne                          



No comments:

Post a Comment