Sunday, March 17, 2019

195 Cooking hacks


Cooking Hacks

I watch a few cooking shows, but I am not into fancy foods. I have, however, discovered a few fun shortcuts when we don't do my favorite shortcut--eating out!

A favorite when I am cooking anything with a liquid component is a can of Rotel's spicey tomatoes. Many people mix it with Velveeta to make a queso dip, but I have never done that. Instead, I add it to my chili, bean soup, baked chicken, broccoli cheese soup (more about that later), baked chicken, and anything else I can think of. 

Rotel has gone the way of Oreos--there seem to be more varieties on the shelf each time I look. Since we have been on a low fat, low carb diet for what seems like forever, my husband Harry wants everything to be spicy!



Another ingredient that is very convenient is Mrs. Dash's salt-free Lemon Pepper. Fresh lemons are the best but this is a great substitute. Since another common spice that I often use is garlic salt, I don't need lemon pepper with salt.


In fact, my standard spice blend for fish and poultry (the only meat proteins we eat) is garlic salt, lemon pepper, and Hungarian paprika. Hungarian paprika is said to be sweeter (I have not noticed that) and spicier than regular paprika. I do think the final product tastes spicier.

I make a quick sauce from fat-free yogurt and salsa. It can be a little runny but will liven up plain baked chicken.

I like cheesy broccoli soup but am too lazy to take the time to make the soup base. I add fresh or frozen broccoli and shredded cheese to Progresso soup (and sometimes part of a can of Rotel) to make a soup that I tell myself is somewhat healthy.
If we are talking high fat, then I go to ricotta cheese. I once had some left over from lasagna, so I threw it into a cream soup. Yummy! It is also wonderful in spaghetti sauce. 

My favorite spaghetti noodle comes from spaghetti squash. If you can manage to hack it in half, then remove the seeds, it cooks quickly in the microwave. All you need to do is scrape out the "noodles."

I look for low-sugar spaghetti sauce. Why does the sauce need sugar? I enhance store-bought by adding sauteed onions and mushrooms. And maybe some Rotel?

What are your favorite go-to ingredients? Comment and let us all know!

Trish            

No comments:

Post a Comment