Tuesday, August 27, 2019

218 Binge Watching


Binge-watching

I have found myself binge-watching various TV series made available through cable and special networks. Once I get started it is sometimes hard to stop. I will hurry to get started on the next episode when I really shouldn’t. I need to do other things but I can’t stop watching.

I believe this would be called an obsession, but I hate to call it that. Let’s just say it is excessive TV watching with a goal of finishing a series or several episodes with the same storyline.
Probably my first one was “The Crown.” A friend kept telling me I had to watch it so I did. It definitely did not disappoint. This series is a historical drama about the life and reign of Queen Elizabeth II. While much of it was familiar, so much more was new to me and very compelling. The actors were excellent and kept the action moving so I didn’t want it to end.

After watching all of this series, I have been anxiously awaiting the next part. That is one thing I have learned – once you binge all the episodes you can’t wait for the next one to begin. I am always left a little flat as I know I cannot continue with the story until a new series is finished. The one good part is when a series is ready it usually contains six to eight episodes so the bingeing can begin again.
Another series that kept me glued to the tube was “Grace and Frankie” -- Jane Fonda and Lily Tomblin portray the main characters who are involved in amazing plots and storylines. This one had several series so it took a while to catch up. Then when I reached the end, I was again lost for a while until another one was planned. A sixth season is due in 2020 – I can’t wait.

The issues in this series hit home to those of us in our sixties and seventies, dealing with health and other age-related situations. Also, the interaction with children and grandchildren is typical of most families – not all issues but most. 

I actually convinced my husband to join me in binge-watching a series I thought he might like. “Longmire” ended up being one we both could not get enough of. A sheriff who runs Absaroka County, Wyoming in a unique, wild west way. It is a modern-day western that continued for six seasons. The last episode is a little predictable, but we still did not want it to end. A little reminiscent of Matt Dillon in “Gunsmoke,” Longmire endures many life-altering experiences but still prevails. It can be a little violent at times so don’t let the kids watch.

One series, “Tales of the City,” is one I kept watching but it isn’t one of my favorites. It details stories of the lives of residents in the same apartment building in San Francisco. There was so much left hanging at the end of each episode that I had to keep watching. The stories are based on works by Armistead Maupin.

The main draw for me was actress Olivia Dukakis who prevails as the landlord and whose past is revealed little by little throughout the series. There is actually a short series that shows how everything started in the 1970s but then the larger series continues years later.

The flashbacks reveal what has happened to these characters twenty years later. Some had remained there while others had departed and returned for a special event. No more hints on this one – you just have to watch but don’t let the kids stay in the room. You can imagine what life was like in the 1970s in San Francisco.

There have been a few that I started but did not finish due to lack of interest, but I continue to look for new ones. It is consuming but generally worth the time and effort. So if you decide to start binge-watching, remember it can consume you for days, depending on how many series and episodes have been released. So binge on.

No comments:

Post a Comment