Sunday, September 22, 2019

222 Reunion redux

Reunion Redux 

Hello, Readers, for me--nostalgia kicks in the fall – football games, crunching the fallen leaves, favorite sweaters for the evenings, and the new notebooks, pens, and pencils for the new school year.
 


This year is my 55th high school class reunion. I am getting older! I hate to face it, but I am.
On October 20, 2014, my blog was titled “REUNION.” I sentimentally wrote about the whole process from getting together a committee, to finding out where everyone lived for a database for communication, to selecting venues, sending out invitations, setting up events, creating decorations, etc., etc., etc. 

Then, I wrote about how important it was to recall the old memories of our emerging selves. The 50th was such a success that the 55th (which we did not anticipate having) will be held on October 5! (yes, our high school colors were orange and blue!)

The 50th was a three-day event; this one is a one event casual dinner. To our surprise, the response has been very good. We were originally a class of 75. We have lost 18 members over the years. We have 45 signed up to attend on October 5. Some of that number includes spouses, but we are pleased with the response. 

We’ve gone from an elegant venue with open bar to the Baptist Church social hall, from salmon and filets to fried chicken and country ham. We’ve gone from a documentary film some of our masterful committee members created to a paid entertainer.

Yes, this year we are going back to our rural county roots: a non-alcoholic social hour, a good home cooked and catered meal, and for our entertainment--hold your hats! We have hired an Elvis impersonator. The fellow, as I read his bio, is a hit in the tri-state area and we would never have been able to book him were it not for a committee member’s connections.  

Some of us may hit a local “watering hole” for drinks later. 

(Wonder if classmates are coming to see each other or to see Elvis? I know why dear husband said YES very quickly.)
Now, I will take the liberty of quoting myself from that blog of five years ago: 

GO to your reunion. It will be worth it. We are senior citizens even if we don’t feel like it. When I look in the mirror, I wonder how all years slipped away. 

My senior picture--1964!
We may not see these old classmates or recall the old memories ever again. It is a scary truth, but some of us might not be here for the next reunion. While we may not be exactly the same as we were in high school, this is where we got our start, where intellectual seeds were sown, and basic principles learned. So, please, Go! Celebrate life! Give homage to your past. Share your memories!

Regards from older (and maybe a bit savvier) 

         Glenne


No comments:

Post a Comment