Sunday, July 19, 2020

261 Becoming my mother!

A Touch of Humor--Or I ThinkI Am Becoming My Mother!!


Hi, dear readers--thought maybe we all use a little humor this week! Here’s a bit of background. Dear husband and I were binge-watching old TV shows one evening last week. 


We were both a little punchy and should have gone to bed an hour or two earlier. Inertia had set in--I think we were too tired to head upstairs. We started just laughing and making silly, inane remarks back to the tv. 

Then, daring man that he sometimes is, the dear man looked at me and said, “YOU SOUND JUST LIKE YOUR MOTHER!” You can tell from this remark we have been married for at least “forever” or 43 years--whichever comes first--and Mom passed away at age 92 ten years ago. This should help you get the evening in perspective.

My mother was a fun person in many ways, but she was also of the “old school” that she got in the last word--NO MATTER WHAT! I fear that sometimes I do the same thing. I don’t even realize what I said 'til I hear myself say it. Then, I must admit, I do sound like my mother. So, apologies to all of you who think--but are too polite to say--just stop talking now! (or as is no longer polite or politically correct--“just shut up!”) 

Here, then, is my list of “momisms” that have somehow attached themselves to my “savvy” (yes, eye roll here) neurons!

  • Don’t use that tone with me!
  • I would NEVER have talked to my mother like that!
  • Because I said so.
  • Don’t sit that close to the tv--it will hurt your eyes.
  • If you can stay out late on Saturday night, you can be ready for church on time on Sunday!
  • Who told you that life was fair?
  • Pretty is as pretty does.
  • If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all!
  • Bless her heart!
  • Jane, Mary, Lucy…which ever one you are?
  • Nothing to do? I’ll find you something to do.
  • Manners! Always use your manners.
  • You’re barking up the wrong tree.
  • Eat your breakfast--it’s the most important meal of the day!
  • Clean your plate! Think of all the starving children in China.
  • You’d lose your head if it weren’t attached.
  • Who are their people? Who will be there?
  • “I don’t know” is not an answer.
  • Put your sweater on--I’m chilly.
  • Get off the phone--now!
  • I don’t care whether you like it or not--eat it.
  • Rules are rules. They are not made for you to break them.
  • Go to your room.
  • Get your ducks in a row!
  • Keep it up and you’ll be grounded till you’re 21.
  • No, curfew is curfew--not a suggestion.
  • Always wear clean underwear – you might get into an accident. [parenthetically, I got in trouble for this one upon retorting that if I am in an accident there is no way my underwear will be clean. Mom did NOT find this funny!]
  • Turn it down! I said, “Turn it down.”
  • I don’t care if Jane’s mother is going to let her do it. If Jane’s mother let her jump off the Empire State Building, should I let you do that, too?
  • If you’re running away, I can help you pack.
  • Running away, hum? Will you be back for dinner?
  • Running away--don’t let the door hit you on the way out.
  • Keep making that face and it will freeze like that!
  • As long as you live under this roof, you will do as I say.
  • Look at me when I’m talking to you!

Okay--I know--enough is enough. Once I got started making this list, I just kept hearing my mother’s voice in my head. Maybe it’s wine time!

Hope you recognized some of these sayings and enjoyed recalling your momisms! And--now--how many of them do you admit to using?

Stay safe, Savvy Glenne             







No comments:

Post a Comment