Sunday, September 20, 2020

268 Useless Pancreas Society

 

Type 1 Diabetes or
The Useless Pancreas Society

I read a Facebook posting that stated that people with Type 1 Diabetes make many life-saving or life-ending decisions every day. Perhaps that is why we feel no one can understand our lives.

Trying to balance the amount of food, insulin and exercise so my blood sugar isn't too low (I've gone to the Emergency Room at least five times so far for that) or too high--that can kill you too, but no hospital visits from highs for me.
My doctor pointed out to me that the amount of insulin I take is a low dosage compared to other diabetics. That's still 5 shots per day--just a low amount per shot! That means that one unit over or under in my calculations can have dire consequences. As bad as it sounds, it made me happy because I have always felt guilty for not having perfect blood sugar control.

I have been a Type 1 Diabetic for 55 years and doctors' attitudes seem to have evolved from judgmental to collegial--or I have finally found the right doctors! Managing diabetes is a team effort with the diabetic doing most of the work so that seems the right approach to me.

Perhaps I should stop and explain Type 1. No diet or vitamin or cinnamon cure can handle it because the body cannot make insulin--no way, no how. Insulin injections are the only way to treat it, not cure it. Once a Type 1--you are a Type 1 for life!

Eating too much sugar did not cause it (and I hate all those, "I'm gonna get diabetes if I eat x," jokes!) Diabetes is an auto-immune disease with links to heredity. 


Type 1 Diabetics comprise about 5% of the diabetes population. We are special! You also hear the term Juvenile Diabetes because people generally contract it when they are young but juvenile diabetics are all ages.

There is a Facebook page called Beyond T-1; my illustrations have come from that page. Nick Jonas, the singer, helped found the Beyond T-1 organization:

"Jonas explains that when he was diagnosed with it in 2002 at age 13, he didn’t have a T1D community in which to turn.

“I felt pretty isolated initially,” says Jonas. “One of the reasons I was so drawn to being a part of Beyond Type 1 was ready to find ways we could build up the community and be a support to those who maybe felt the way I felt when I was diagnosed, which was very alone."  
https://beyondtype1.org/an-interview-with-nick-jonas/


I have enjoyed being part of the Beyond T1D community. Seeing my fears and feelings shared by others has made me feel better about my own care.

I have been lucky. I haven't lost a leg or foot to amputation. My heart is good; I have some mild diabetic retinopathy in my eyes, but I haven't gone blind. And I try not to think about all other complications that can come from diabetes. Diabetics have a greater risk of serious consequences from contracting coronavirus, but it seems that those with good blood sugar control, who don't have other issues such as heart or weight, have about the same chance of dying as the general population. 

One of my doctors told me about one of his patients, a ninety-year-old Type 1 diabetic who is still going strong! So I guess I can keep on chugging along!

                   Trish








1 comment:


  1. Hi! I'm new to this group. I recently joined because I want to be with people who live Diabetes and are serious about their health. I can’t believe this. A great testimony that i must share to all DIABETES patient in the world i never believed that their could be any complete cure for DIABETES or any cure for it,i saw people’s testimony on sites of how Dr nogokpo Healing Shrine prepare herbal cure and brought them back to life again. i had to try it too and you can,t believe that in just few weeks i started using it all my pains stop gradually and i had to leave without the DIABETES DRUGS the doctor gave to me. Right now i can tell you that few months now i have not had any pain,delay in treatment leads to death. Here is his email: nogokposh@gmail.com . and his Whatapp messenger ; +233 24 095 7817

    ReplyDelete