Sunday, April 19, 2015

038 Getting Outside

Finally walking again


After a long, contentious winter, spring is finally here. Taking a walk in the great outdoors is a reality with warmer temps and sunshine. Sometimes it felt like warm weather would never come.

Walking is a great exercise for those of us with a higher numbers of decades.  Slow or fast, walking keeps us upright, mobile, and helps with weight.

 Distance is totally up to you.  I try to reach 3 miles but sometimes make it to 4 or 5, depending on the aches and pains of the day.

Try to hit a few streets or areas where there is a little elevation to get the heart rate going. Then settle into flat terrain to catch your breath. 

I never tire of looking at the neighborhoods or park areas I pass. I can always make up stories about why a house is for sale, what is going on at certain construction areas, is that a new car in that driveway, and when will the projects really be finished.  I guess that puts me in the realm of the elderly ladies who always keep track of the comings and goings of the neighborhood.

Of course, my musings are definitely of a” higher” order that make for blog topics, Facebook postings, and conversations with friends, especially when a local business has shut its doors. That often happens in a matter of days with very little warning.

I have missed my daily treks as the weather kept me inside and sent me to the gym. While the treadmill is a nice alternative, it is much more interesting to take to the sidewalks and roads.

Not sure what it was about this winter that made it so despicable, many people say the same thing.  We are glad it is over and look forward to warmer days.

Don’t forget walking shoes and socks as a must for taking to the walking trails.  Take a good look and bask in the great outdoors!

 Frances



No comments:

Post a Comment