Sunday, December 13, 2015

072 Thanks, Mom & Dad





Give parents a big thanks!




Can you believe the holidays are here! I can’t. What happened to the 11 months that had to pass before we arrived at good old December, the month that does by at warp speed – so much to do and so little time.


Wish we could stop the clock and give us all time to savor a few minutes (or a couple of hours) but you know that will never happen!

So onward and upward to complete all that has to be done – no stopping, stalling, or waiting. As I plod forward buying, wrapping, and baking, my thoughts go back to my childhood and how it seemed like Christmas would never get here. The months and days just wouldn’t go fast enough for anyone under the age of 12.

I definitely appreciate those days and realize how wonderful it is for children --- making a list, visiting Santa, dreaming of what presents will be given and received, helping with the cookie making, and decorations. I wish they could realize how great it is before they make it to adulthood when they become the ones responsible for all the Christmas magic.

No wonder we look back at those good old days and think of how great it was – we got to enjoy it all without doing much of anything. We were in awe of how the presents appeared on Christmas morning exactly as we asked. But now we know the hours of work that went into that special time by our moms mostly with some help from our dads to make it all come out so very, very magical.

I can remember my mom monitored the Santa list making sure she knew what we wanted and that we didn’t go over board. There was always a reality check but it didn’t stop our expectations going over the moon. 


Christmas Eve brought it all to a head as we went to church for the real reason for the season and then home to wait for Santa’s arrival. Of course, he wouldn’t come unless we were fast asleep which didn’t come easy. 





But before you knew it was morning and my older sister was waking me up with, “Santa’s been here.”





This photo of my parents was taken when
we were all young and dreaming of Santa.






If you have living parents, give them a great big thank you for all they have done. If your parents are no longer walking on this earth, thank any parents you know who are fulfilling the Christmas wishes of their children or grandchildren and making the magic happen.




I still find the season a great time of year as most people are a little kinder and cheerier. My children are no longer in my home but in their own so I don’t do as much as I used to but I truly enjoy trying to find that special something to show I how much I care. Plus grandchildren help bring back the wonder of the season with their enthusiasm and love of all things associated with Christmas and the birth of the baby Jesus.

Whatever stage you are in life, remember to enjoy where you are and thank anyone who has been a part of it.

Frances           




No comments:

Post a Comment