Sunday, October 23, 2016

118 Book geek

A book geek for sure!

“The Boxcar Children” was absolutely my favorite book as a child. I have no idea why, but there was something enticing and intriguing to me about living in a train car. I definitely have a great love of trains to this day that could have started with the attraction to this book.





I was first introduced to this book on one of my weekly trips to the public library (located in a stately old house the women’s club operated). It was a magical setting with books strategically placed on shelves in the nooks and crannies on the first floor of this dignified structure. The interior of the house is etched in my mind as I can still visualize walking around the rooms looking for special tomes to take home.



The library was a few doors down the street from our church so trips were part of the routine to catechism classes, confession, or any other church-related events. Trips to the library had to be accomplished quickly and efficiently. Since my mom didn’t drive, visits to town had to be multi-purposed. My dad or uncles (or their delivery drivers for the grocery stores our family operated) carted us around town, so time was precious and every second at the library was valuable. There was no dilly-dallying around in our family.

The majestic structure with high ceilings was a calling card of huge proportions for me. I always wanted a few more minutes, but I learned to take what I could get and make the most of it. I quickly learned where my favorites were displayed and would made a beeline to that area. I worked my way through the shelves, checking out as many as I could each time I managed a visit.

My parents always encouraged reading and had books around the house, but the library books added a dimension and depth we couldn’t possibly amass at home. But heaven forbid ever keeping a book past the due date--my parents were sticklers for following to the rules and of course never paying a fine. That was not a problem for me as I read the books right away and got them back as soon as I could to get more.

My sisters and I were so into reading that in addition to heading to the public library for books, we started a lending library of our own books in the neighborhood with friends and family members participating. Ever one chipped in with favorites books, including many Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden volumes. We made sure we got those books back in time too. Boy, we were a bunch of book geeks for sure.

Years later when I had moved away, my mom was so pleased when a new library was built, and she could leisurely walk there to check out what she wanted to read. My dad was gone by then so her transportation opportunities were limited -- walking to the library was a real plus. The new library just didn’t have the attraction that the old house did for me, but I could certainly understand her delight in the new facility.




A recent post on Facebook was a blast from the past as it showed the old library house from my youth and how it needs some tender, loving care. Known as the Chafin house, it was built in the early 1900s and served as the public library from the 1940s to the 1990s. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994. Non-profit, Southern Coalition of the ARTS received a grant to help start the restoration process. Hopefully, it will be back to it majestic grandeur some day soon.

Because of my experiences, I worked diligently to instill in my children this love of books and libraries that I had developed as a child. It was made much easier while living in Winchester because of the amazing public library. Built in 1913, the structure is an architectural wonder beckoning the public to come in. Built in the shape of an open book, it graces a busy corner in the historic district.

I made sure my son and daughter rarely missed a children’s activity. My daughter recently reminded me of the noon concerts we attended when she was a toddler. I take my grandchildren as often I can to pass down to them the wonderment of the written page.

No matter what format you use now--paper or electronic--the result is the same. A world of adventure awaits whether reading about boxcar living or any topic that comes to mind, It is only a few clicks or steps away.

Savvy Reader Frances

No comments:

Post a Comment