Sunday, October 30, 2016

119 Clowns this year?

Will There Be CLOWNS This Halloween?

Halloween! The holiday celebrated on the night of October 31. The word Halloween is a shortening of All Hallow’s Eve. Traditional activities included trick-or-treating, bonfires, costume parties, jack-o-lanterns, and haunted houses. These activities were carried to America by the Irish and Scottish immigrants in the 19th century.

The origins of Halloween, of course, go back much further. The ancient Celtic festival known as Samhain (pronounced sah –win) was a celebration of the fall harvest. The ancient pagans also thought, it is said, that October 31 was the dividing line between the worlds of the living and dead. Bonfires were necessary to prevent the dead from coming back to destroy crops. The pagans also wore masks and costumes to frighten the dead from coming back.

Actually, I think you and I knew most of this history. Growing up, however, I don’t think we gave a single thought to the idea of keeping the dead away or celebrating harvest time. Maybe we should have asked more about jack-o-lanterns and thought less about our candy!

Hanging out with friends and getting a free stash of candy was the Halloween goal in my trick-or-treat days. Jeez, I think I was a ghost in the same sheet about four years in a row! Just out for the sugar!!

As I contemplate this year’s Halloween, I am interested in what costumes the trick-or-treaters will chose. Always there are ninja turtles, Disney characters, hobos, witches, ghosts, and whatever else is popular on TV. I guess Dora the Explorer and Sponge Bob will still make appearances as will nurses, doctors, and ballerinas and little girls with tiaras. 

I wonder this year if there will be CLOWNS?

Social-psychology has coined a new term. I think it will last: COULROPHOBIA – the fear of clowns. With the recent news posts of clowns stalking towns from east coast to west coast, clowns are out of favor with the general public. And, I should think, out of favor with parents. There are now both an ihateclownbs.com forum and a Facebook I Hate Clowns page. Circuses in Florida are holding workshops for children and adults to help them get over their fear of clowns. A BBC report recently said that “very few children really like clowns. They are unfamiliar and from a different era. They are not funny; they are odd.”
Clarabell on Howdy Doody



When did clowns change from being innocuous entertainment to a picture of the dark side. I am thinking maybe they always had a dark side and we were too naïve to see it! Take a look at some of the early clown pictures. They’re not really too fun looking.
McDonald’s has put Ronald on sabbatical!



Bozo was around from 1959 to 2001 with over 200 actors playing the TV role. One, in fact, was weatherman and newscaster Willard Scott.

Except for Ronald McDonald, the early clowns were a bit frightening to me. I didn’t like them in the circus. I figured they were to distract viewers from watching riggings being changed and for roustabouts to set up for Act II of the circus. Clowns in the circus ring were a good time to go to the bathroom or whine for





We have Stephen King and IT
with his clown Pennywise.
Then, bad clowns become popular! Crossing the line between funny and scary is Krusty the Klown on the Simpsons.







In real life there was John Wayne Gacy who killed more than 35 men in the Chicago area but was also a registered clown who entertained as Pogo at community events. He is now referred to as the KILLER CLOWN. Frankly, I am not sure I would have hired him for any event.

The Batman movies with Joker have
added to frightening clown looks.



And now we have the police keeping
 an eye out for the current stalker
clowns. This one is from Georgia.
 
Okay, I don’t like clowns. I don’t think I ever liked clowns. They are weird and frightening. There are enough scary things in life without them. I think I need to eat another mini Snickers bar!!!

BE SAFE on Halloween. 

Glenne           

No comments:

Post a Comment