Sunday, July 23, 2017

155 Walking among the dead

Walking among the dead

You never know where a simple walk will take you. As I have added miles to my daily treks, various cemeteries have become a regular part of the weekly sojourns.

A few blocks from my house is the Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church Cemetery. I never paid much attention to it until a beloved priest, who had been transferred out of the area, came back after his death to rest in the local cemetery. 



 I began to frequent his final resting place, taking flowers and cleaning off the weeds. Since our parents are buried very far away, it gave me a chance to pay my respects and think of those I could not visit regularly.

After retirement, daily walks became routine and I would circle through the cemetery especially after a dear friend died several years ago. Again, I take care of flowers and the cleanup of her grave. I have also discovered so many other dear friends, who were parishioners at our church, in their final resting place. I have found it to be some consolation as I think of the many memories of these wonderful people.

Others may find that morbid, but I grew up accompanying my parents to the cemetery to visit loved ones. The most vivid memory sticks in my mind as we would light candles on the edges of the tombs on all souls day, the first of November. My mother never missed that day that honored those who had passed on. It always took place at dusk so that the candles were visible throughout the cemetery. That may sound macabre to some people, but I was never afraid or upset to be there. It was a part of growing up with Italian parents who honored their loved ones.



My morning walking partner has joined me in this pursuit of final resting places in our community. The national cemetery is one we check on periodically. The wreaths at Christmas time were awe-inspiring, resting against the white tombstones. 
















We were disappointed when the American flags did not make the scene this year for Memorial Day, but we have hope for other holidays. It was amazing how quickly the decoration of the graves took place as well as the removing of the wreaths.




The largest cemetery in the area is Mount Hebron, and there we also visit many friends. Sadly, more and more each year have taken up residence there , but it is an amazing resting place that covers many acres of the city. 

Since cemetery land is often inside cities, it can be an ideal walking space and plentiful in most places. Usually there are walkways with no crowds, and they are open during daytime hours. Plus the reading material can be fascinating.

In 1935, the U.S. Department of Commerce estimated there were 15,000 cemeteries in the United States, but there is no official estimate of the acreage within the cemeteries. The figure of one acre per thousand population would put the cemetery land total in the U.S. at approximately 140,000 acres, according to the American Planning Association web site.

So as a walking destination and route, we find all of these cemeteries peaceful, serene, and of course, quiet. Also, the trees are quite a vision to behold as many would be considered amazing trees with trunks that cannot be circled with our arms.

Making observations as we travel through the tombstones, we often find names who are not dead yet but have places ready when they pass on. At least they know where they will come to rest, and now we are also privy to the information.



















Another cemetery on the outskirts of town is one where we don’t walk since it would be far too long a trek. But I have started stopping by to see one of Winchester’s most famous residents, Patsy Cline. I pay tribute to her by doing what my parents always did – cleaning off the dead flowers and adding new ones.

Just the other day my friend said it is time to head to Sacred Heart Cemetery since we hadn’t been there for about a week. So you see our circuit is full as we visit our old friends and often find a few we didn’t know were there, while sometimes checking on new residents to the tranquil setting. 

Walking among the dead can be rather reflective and emotional in a good way as we remember the good times and think of the many special people we have known.

                            Frances

No comments:

Post a Comment