Sunday, July 2, 2017

152 Back to tennis


Back to tennis

I have had a love affair with the game of tennis since I was a teenager. My friends and I would hang out at the local courts at the high school hoping to catch a glimpse of someone we were eyeing as a potential boyfriend. We would play a few games, flirt, play a few more, flirt--you get the picture.

We even went to great lengths to get on the courts. Once we were locked out of a court that we often frequented that was in the next community. That didn’t stop us--we climbed over the fence that had to be at least 20 to 30 feet high. Fencing had been added above the regular size door--no idea what that was about. We proceeded to play our usual games. At least an hour later, the persons who had reserved the court arrived and were rather shocked to see the lock still on the gate and us inside the court.

Of course, we never told our parents about climbing the fence and sort of trespassing. At that time, the coal companies owned many of the recreational areas and generally opened them to the public. At least we thought they did!

I eventually married one of the guys I had actually hung around with at the high school courts so we both had the common interest in tennis.


Jamey and Anne -- my athletic children



This love affair with the game continued through adulthood when I started attending clinics and playing whenever I could. The children took up the sport so it became a family activity. Both children played on the high school teams and our son went on to college tennis and became a teaching tennis pro.








Tennis pals -- Pete and James


The family also spent countless hours watching tennis either on TV or at the courts. We even took the family to Wimbledon as a graduation trip for our son. When our son-in-law joined the family, he was surprised at how many hours we spent watching tennis on TV especially when Wimbledon was broadcast when we were on a beach trip. 







Weekly matches took place with friends at local clubs and parks. I am not sure when this slowed down, but it seemed to fade slowly.

As the years went by, I never got back into the game that I loved so much. My career, family obligations, and other diversions kept me away. Reaching my seventh decade, I thought it was unlikely I ever would return to the game.

About a year ago, a friend asked if I played anymore. She had a group that needed a substitute for their team. I jumped at the chance thinking this would be a great way to get back in the game.


And boy did I ever get back! The average age of the members of the group is 85. The oldest just hit 90 this year. They play twice a week for an hour and a half and never cancel. I thought it would be an easy entry back into the game. Not!! These ladies are serious, competitive, and know the game inside and out.

It was an adjustment at first as some of them serve without tossing the ball. They don’t mess around and don’t give an inch. You play the entire time, rotating partners. They play indoors so no time is wasted switching sides. You have to be on your toes and vigilant for every shot. They have run my socks off many times!! But I love it and admire them for their tenacity and drive. Plus they are very kind and endearing.

I really look forward to the phone calls to ask me to sub. Sometimes I have to turn them down due to prior commitments or going out of town, but I always play when I am available.

I think my game has improved since getting back on the court. I have always had visions of playing better than I do, even when my son started beating me at age 10. With a lot of luck and determination (no athletics ability whatsoever), I might make a decent showing.

Hopefully I will be walking on the court at their ages if I am lucky enough to reach the 80s. All I know is if they can do it, then I should strive to do it. Thanks ladies for giving me hope!

Nearly Tennis-savvy Frances          

No comments:

Post a Comment