Sunday, June 25, 2017

151 Uniting ancestors

Uniting Ancestors on Findagrave.com

What a great way to spend Father's Day--linking grave records of my family!

I registered on findagrave.com so I could enter or correct information on cemetery records. "Find a Grave's mission is to find, record and present final disposition information from around the world as a virtual cemetery experience." (from the website) Right now, the site says there are 162 million grave records available to search.




I started off with my parents' graves--their urns are together in a columbarium at Arlington National Cemetery. 




It was great fun to add pictures to the record.






You can also leave virtual flowers on a record. I think I will start putting new flowers each Mothers' and Fathers' day. 




To link a parent, child or spouse, once you have the privilege to do so, you 
simply enter in the Find a Grave memorial number of the individual. The changes are pending until they are reviewed and approved.

When I went to my father's mothers entry, I realized that her relatives are buried all around her in the Peru Cemetery (Peru,pronounced PEA-roo, Kansas, southwest of Wichita). So I added her photo and then linked her to her parents.     


































Grandmother Moore died when my father was just six so my Grandfather remarried and he and his second wife are buried in Missouri. So more linking! Find a Grave allows you to list multiple spouses. My grandfather is not listed in the above record because all edits are reviewed and do not show up until approved. Some edits seem to take a long time to be reviewed while other edits are immediately accepted.

I started in on my mother's family, but have not found her parents and most of her brothers and sister in Find a Grave. Lucky for you, you don't have more tombstones to view!

My husband (I haven't started on his family yet, either.) and I are childless, but I am hoping a few of our nieces and nephews and cousins will find this useful sometime in the future. Isn't it odd that we plan to be cremated with ashes sprinkled, yet I am obsessing on burial sites!

Trish                        




No comments:

Post a Comment