Sunday, January 28, 2018

136 Avid Anglophile

Avid Anglophile

My anglophile tendencies have recently propelled into overdrive as movies and TV series have fed my obsession for anything pertaining to England.

I have always loved the literature and culture of our British friends, but in the last few weeks, various entertainment outlets have given fans like me an amazing amount of shows and movies to devour with great enthusiasm and feeling.
The series on Queen Victoria last year on PBS got my attention. I could never miss an episode and was so sad when it concluded. But to my delight season 2 began this January with even more intriguing and sensational plot twists. 

Of course, it is all based on history so there should not really be any surprises, but the drama never ceases to amaze me and pique my curiosity. I also read that there will be a season 3--yeah!

This series is described this way: “A teenager in 1837, Victoria is crowned queen and navigates the scandal, corruption, and political intrigues of the Court, according to PBS’s Masterpiece series. She soon rises to become the most powerful woman in the world. The spirited monarch was perhaps the first woman to have it all.”
If that wasn’t enough to keep me totally invested in these royal subjects, the series, “The Crown,” was brought to my attention. I didn’t think I could find it on TV. I have a remote I can talk to so I asked it and like magic, the series appeared. I’m into season 2 and can’t get enough of the series.

Netflix describes it as a drama that “follows the political rivalries and romance of Queen Elizabeth II’s reign and the events that shaped the second half of the 20th century.”

And it certainly fulfills that goal with twists and turns that keep the action moving, sometimes a little methodical but that is the British way. The civility is overwhelming but occasionally a spark of emotion comes through. 
This is usually from Princess Margaret, who keeps the royalty constantly in a state of surprise as her lifestyle is not so civil and proper.

Both of these series, portray the queens facing issues most women face--juggling husbands, work, children, and more. Of course, these are at such levels that most of us cannot comprehend but we do empathize with family and obligations.

Both series show how powerful women must maintain their control but appease the husbands who often feel left out and suffer feelings of unfulfillment.

Nevertheless, I can’t stop watching. There is something about the queens that draws me in and keeps me turning on the shows. I know how it ultimately turns out but it is fascinating how it all unfolds.

“The Crown” is especially interesting since the queen and prince are still serving in those roles. It makes one realize how the modern-day issues were prevalent in the early days and have somewhat been resolved in this century. Divorce looms heavily in many situations that would not be an issue today.

The gravity of the situations is also emphasized as the simplest of issues often are full of extenuating circumstances. Alas, the life of a queen is quite complicated==far more than wearing a crown and fancy gowns.

Also, in “Victoria,” a recent episode discussed the British troops in Afghanistan. One of the advisers urged bringing the troops home, but they suffered defeat before that happened. He went on to say the area was extremely rocky and hilly and the natives constantly fought among themselves. Sound familiar!!
In addition to these TV series, the movies have added to an Anglophile’s obsession--The Darkest Hour was released recently. This tells the story of the early days of World War II. “The fate of Western Europe hangs on the newly-appointed British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, who must decide whether to negotiate with Hitler or fight on against incredible odds,” according to a web link about the movie.

Of course, we all know how that decision affects the entire world, but the agonizing and difficult path followed to reach that conclusion is revealed with excellent acting and writing.

I urge all of you who share my love of all things English to watch when possible these series and movie. I have no idea why I am so obsessed this way, but I can never resist these types of shows. My husband tolerates my watching habits, and it is especially interesting since he is the one with English, Irish, and Scottish heritage while I have absolutely none. There is no accounting for taste.

He won’t even consider another trip to the United Kingdom. I have enjoyed every moment of my visits, but he has had enough. If you notice I am AWOL, then I may have slipped away to get more doses of English life!!

Anglophile Frances                   

No comments:

Post a Comment