Sunday, October 7, 2018

172 Savvy travel packing?

The Art of Packing or Not 

After years of travel either in this country or others, I still don’t have the art of packing perfected. I either take way too much or never enough. Plus, I never have the right combinations--too many slacks and too few tops or vice versa or never the clothes that fit the temperature.

I have learned to take a main suitcase with basics and then another one for extras like bathing suits or beach clothes. That seems to work pretty well for domestic travel in a vehicle but certainly not for flying. I am also lazy sometimes when we arrive at our destination and will not completely unpack for a few days. Then some items never get worn especially those crammed in the bottom of the suitcase.

Temperature is a big factor and can change quickly one way or the other. I am realizing a light jacket is crucial, a raincoat sometimes, and short and long sleeve shirts as well as shorts and slacks.

Spring and fall are the worst times as the weather can change in what seems like a minute. That sweatshirt that seemed like a good idea when I was packing may never get worn in 80 to 90-degree temperatures. So off to the stores I go to get something that will be tolerable in the heat and humidity. And then there is the other side of it--the cold and wet weather with no raincoat or boots. Again, shopping comes into play as warmer garments are needed. I do love to shop but it isn’t always convenient or practical where we are traveling.

Sticking to one color is a help.

Driving to a destination in this country is easier as you can always throw a few more things in the car. Raincoats are usually one of the last items to be tossed in the back with the suitcases. The only problem is when arriving at the destination, there are tons of bags to be unloaded and then repacked to bring home. That is when I ask myself why in the world I brought so much.
Second Bag

But flying especially abroad presents great problems. A large suitcase is needed but by the end of the trip, I am ready to leave it wherever we are staying. Some people we have encountered on trips will bring older items to wear and just leave them along the way so that the luggage gets lighter. Haven’t tried that yet but will consider it.



I have experimented including rolling every piece of clothing so that wrinkles are hindered. That seems to work but takes more time. I don’t always have the patience for that.

Toiletries bag always
ready to go and
its wheels twirl
I do keep a bag with toiletries always ready for a road trip or short flights. It is always ready so I don’t have to repack each trip. It does require having duplicates but that isn’t a problem if you work to collect items from the $1 aisle at various stores. Also, the smaller size works great.




Some suggestions include doing laundry on the trip, using a smaller suitcase, researching the weather at the destinations, taking lightweight items such as jackets, and as far as reading material, an electronic device might be the best option.

Suitcase styles come and go so it is a good idea to look at a new one every few years. (They don’t last that long anyway after being thrown around on luggage carousels.) The rolling types are the best but make sure to also get one that swivels. This will make life easier when running through an airport.

Train travel is different as far as luggage. Rarely can you check a bag so it is put above the seat or at the end of the car. This is quicker when getting off the train but don’t pack too heavy--putting luggage above the seat can be difficult. Usually, a porter or another passenger will help. Also getting off the train can be a little tricky with too much luggage.

But traveling is still a top priority for my husband and me so I will have to keep trying to get it right!

Savvy traveling Frances         




Savvy traveling Frances

No comments:

Post a Comment