Monday, February 18, 2019

191 Computerless!

WHAT I MISSED WITH NO COMPUTER
FOR THREE WEEKS!

Hello, my friends. I am nearly back to being with my beloved HP built-for-me computer. I think I know why the motherboard is called the “mother” board. 




Without it, you have a great loss in your life. Indeed, it was like losing a family member. Yes, like losing your Mother. Who do I fuss with, exchange stories with, laugh at and with – like a Mother? Just look at all a motherboard does; look at all its parts; look how necessary it is! I am sorry you died, old motherboard.

I now have a new motherboard installed, but in the transfer of one motherboard to another, the built-in audio shorted out. We are now looking at external speakers. [Parenthetically, I suggested that we have a new custom computer built. “Honestly,” said our tech guru, “you don’t need to spend that money.” I wonder? I do wonder?]

Angst! How am I going to stream my favorite shows without sound? Awaiting speakers with longing and trepidation! I hope to heck I can hook them up without a service call from my tech friends (just $85/hr). Thank goodness, Mrs. Maisel is not into season 3 yet. Detective Bosch will just have to wait, but he’s been around for a LONG time. Last night I felt obligated to reality TV – the Bachelor, America’s Got Talent Champions, and reruns of RuPaul season 1. At least, since I worked yesterday and dear husband didn’t, dinner was good!

Now that I have a computer with no sound, I had to have my dear friend Google tell me what I had missed. You may remember I do like “listicles.” Just for fun, the following are the top Google searches for the past three weeks (with my random snarky commentary):


5 Most Searched Words on Google--According to Google


  • FACEBOOK (over 2 million and “they” say it’s in trouble)





  • YOUTUBE (1 million+ and it wants me to subscribe now! What’s with that??)

  • GOOGLE (Bless its heart! Over 900k)



  • GMAIL (must be #1 email -500k+)


  • AMAZON (Surprise! Surprise!)



5 Most Searched Questions on Google


  • WHAT IS MY IP


A unique string of numbers separated by periods that identifies each computer using the Internet Protocol to communicate over a network (Thanks, Google, for the definition)

  • HOW DO I REGISTER TO VOTE? (PLEASE DO!)
  • HOW DO I TIE A BOW TIE (is it wedding season??)
  • HOW MANY OUNCES IN A CUP? (if you have a measuring up, it will tell you OR learn “a pint’s a pound the world around” and do a little arithmetic)
  • WHAT’S GOING ON WITH VIRGINIA POLITICS? (What a Great Question!!)


5 Most Popular Candies Purchased--According to Google


  • M&Ms (over 417 mil--did not say what size bag )






  • REESES
  • SNICKERS (15 mil/day)
  • KITKAT/TWIX (a tie)
  • HERSHEY (and we wonder why America is obese!!?)
p.s. I miss NECCO wafers!! (became popular in WWII for GIs as prepackaged rolls were easy to put in overseas gift boxes)



Top Snacks--According to Google


  • POTATO CHIPS


  • OREOS



  • POPCORN
  • COOKIES


  • DORITOS (I hate to choose just one type)



And, finally, according to GOOGLE from Beverage Digest, Feb. 2019: in the cola wars, COKE products have a 17.8% share of the market while Pepsi has an 8.4% share. (Makes sense to me!)

OKAY, that’s all, folks. Waiting for tech support to get some sound on this computer.

Stay warm, Glenne










No comments:

Post a Comment