Sunday, May 26, 2019

205 Carry-on craziness!

Carry-on craziness!

Why does the person who carries on far more than allowed always takes his or her time storing it while holding up everyone else waiting to get seated!! 

The person appears to be completely oblivious to what is going on around him or her. Does this person think no one else wants to get seated or ready to go? It is often hard to tell what motivates this type of person. On a recent flight, a gentleman (and I use the term loosely), who had at least three bags to store, took forever to put them in the overhead bin while holding up at least 10
to 20 people who just wanted
to get by. Just when you thought he was finished, he pulled out something else he absolutely had to store. The final straw was 
disrobing in the middle of the aisle, pulling his sweater
over his head. That is something
the rest of us did not need to see. 

Again, he was holding up the other passengers so he could be comfortable while appearing completely unaware that he was affecting so many others. We were already seated so we got to watch this spectacle unfold feeling tremendous sympathy for those waiting for this idiot to complete his storing ritual.

I can’t figure out how people are so unaware of what is around them or how their actions affect others. I know this may seem trivial but it can cause the plane to be late taking off. I remember one case in which a family could not decide who was sitting where--the seats they had purchased--and the flight attendant kept warning them to take a seat or the plane would be delayed! Again, total disregard for the rest of the passengers. 

While the aforementioned gentleman was obnoxious, one of the worst I have witnessed was a woman who sat in front of me on a non-stop flight to Paris from D.C. If she was out of her seat once, she was up 100 times (a little exaggeration but not much). She just had to retrieve items from the overhead bin over and over and over again.

I could not imagine what she needed so desperately that she had to open and close the bin as well as her carry-on case countless times, disturbing all those around her including me!

Again, like the carry-on king previously mentioned, she was completely oblivious as to what she was doing to the rest of the passengers. I kept hoping she was not going to be on the same tour we were meeting in Paris. Thank goodness she wasn’t, as I found out later!


As we were preparing for the landing and exiting the plane, she started searching frantically around her seat and then exclaimed – “I can’t find my shoes!”

My initial reaction was laughter, but I contained myself and tried not to make eye contact. I busied myself with what I had to do to get ready to leave so I am not sure of the outcome of her lost shoes, but I would be surprised if those were the only things she couldn’t find.

Please readers when you enter or exit a plane, keep in mind the others around you. This is not your living room and personal space you own. We are all in the same boat trying to get from one place to another, so try to be as considerate as you want others to be. How many items do you really need to carry on!! If you do need to store an item, move out of the way so others can get by. It really can be accomplished with consideration and concern for others.

Frances                    

No comments:

Post a Comment