Sunday, June 16, 2019

208 10,000 steps

10,000 steps

How many steps a person takes every day has become a popular topic and part of exercise and health programs. A recent news broadcast surprised the public (at least me) with the revelation that the step goal may be causing stress!

Really--an exercise goal brings about stress. I have never been the type to worry about exercise so maybe I just can’t relate.

I guess getting to that 10,000-step goal is often a problem for some people, but it is meant as a help to keep people moving not a pressure point of concern.



I have three Apps on my phone that register my steps. Two are in constant use and never close while the other has to be activated. (These are free, by the way.) Some days I reach my goal while some days I don’t. I try but life gets in the way of reaching this made-up goal that I created myself.

One hint to those that are finding the 10,000 steps a problem—lower it. I have on several occasions lowered the goal to 8,000 which is sometimes easier to achieve. 






I get the celebration going on with the number turning green--no idea why it turns green but I do like to see it.

What some people don’t realize is that the steps don’t have to be while exercising. I add steps to my goal while in the grocery store, shopping, or just getting from place to place. It really isn’t that hard.

When I heard the news broadcast about the steps causing stress, I was surprised. It seemed to focus on the younger population in their 30s and 40s. I can remember those days when stress centered around jobs, children, education, etc. Certainly, stress was not brought on by not attaining a goal I had set myself and really didn’t affect me professionally or my family personally. I worked full-time, had two children to manage, a husband who worked full-time and coached as well as a couple part-time jobs, and other family matters we dealt with daily.

I certainly had very little time for my own exercise goal but I seemed to stay in shape by doing all the things I had to do to keep the household moving as well as my job obligations.

I am definitely not saying exercise should be on the back burner--it is important for all of us to stay active but don’t let a number discourage or be a deterrent.

But it is surprising how many steps are accrued on a normal day -- up and down the steps to do the laundry, in and out to work in the yard, running errands, etc. 

Also, as a suggestion--when possible, walk to a store, library, druggist, or any other place you can reach easily and can carry back what you picked up. If this is not possible, maybe drive to a shopping area and walk from shop to shop and take items to the car as needed. I try to park several blocks away for the exercise as well as avoiding parking meters.





If there is an indoor mall, that is an ideal place to walk during rain or extremely hot or cold. Again, shopping can be done while exercising at the same time. Also, park far away from the doors to get more steps. 




 Schools can be great destinations as many have walking trails around them.

Several years ago, Savvy Trish and I walked all the streets of Winchester. I bought a map and we checked them off. Think of a goal like that and start your walking – I bet 10,000 steps will add up quickly.

Another friend and I take the real estate sales listings and walk to the houses to check out the houses while judging whether they are worth the price or not! We have learned a great deal while adding up the steps.

I do have to confess – when I get a message from one of the Apps telling me I only need a few more steps to reach the goal, I walk around the house and usually reach the required amount!

The only advice I can share is to try to do the best you can and don’t stress out over lost steps. Take the Savvy Broads approach. You can always step the next day or the next or the next!!

Stepping Frances                

No comments:

Post a Comment