Sunday, June 7, 2020

257 Savvy - A Retrospective


SAVVY – A Retrospective

Hello, Friends, I hope you are well and safe! It’s been another lousy week in American history, has it not: the virus, the riots, the world in turmoil, too many deaths, too many people taking chances and so much fear. And, frankly, too much time on my hands thinking random thoughts as I clean out closets or play on Google. 

I started thinking about our blogs. Have we been savvy? Have we shared some things of interest? Have we made you laugh?

Here is the dictionary definition of SAVVY to help you decide if you think we are three savvy broads: Shrewd and knowledgeable; having common sense and good judgment (Oxford English Dictionary.

From Trish, at lunch one day: “…We weren’t drinking anything alcoholic, but somehow came to the realization that we had a great deal of unshared collective wisdom. More importantly, we felt everyone could benefit from our insights after we were in retirement. We agreed, ‘Let’s do a blog’!”

We started our blog in August of 2014! Whether we have always remembered to count correctly or not, we are numbering today’s blog as #257. I’m proud of us. Without looking back at all our contributions, I came to the conclusion that we do each represent something different.

Trish is our historian. She knows or knows how to find anything about the Civil War you might ever want to know. Often, she is the scholar of the group (or at least it comes through that way – remember when she was telling us all the poetry she’d memorized?!) 

She has a wry sense of humor. I remember she posted a blog about Yogi Berra: she has become something of a “snow bird” with some exquisite wildlife photos from Florida and we all know that she’s got her hands full with her Jack Russell and her “relicman” Harry. 

Frances, our educator and editing guru, is very much our nature girl. I remember Frances hugging a tree, admonishing us to get out and walk, and sending photos of beaches, hikes, and mountains and streams. 

Frances, then and now says: “I invite all of you to get to know your community a little better by becoming a streetwalker and take in all the unique and special qualities of where you live. Don’t rush it --- take your time and enjoy it.” (Frances, a “streetwalker, hmm?”) 

So where does that leave me? I guess I am the eclectic one. I love to read; I love winter and snow. I love my dogs. 

I like nature from inside looking out, though I do have two (that’s all that are left--thank you, deer!) rose bushes and I pull random weeds. Sometimes I am very sociable, sometimes a recluse. 

I like puns, cartoons, comedy, and anyone who fixes my dinner so I don’t have to cook. I worry a lot – a whole lot – and I know it’s a waste of time. (I have a child, her husband, and only grandchild in Manhattan.) But this is what I know and why maybe I am a little bit savvy:

Stay safe, stay well, wash your hands, and wear your masks! If you should happen to be in NYC--the curfew is 8 pm! All the best to each of you, 

Glenne                

No comments:

Post a Comment