Sunday, May 31, 2020

256 Shell shocked


Shell shocked

The beauty and magic of the beach include the amazing shells that are free for the taking. I have always collected them no matter the country, continent, or beach. Their uniqueness is what attracts me to pick them up and make the effort to get them home unscathed.

I never paid a great deal of attention to the lines on the outer part of the shell until a few years ago.

Someone was looking for what was called a Pawleys Island shell, which has horizontal lines rather than vertical, when we were on a recent trip. We frequent that area several times a year.

It was shocking to find we may have overlooked the prized possessions. According to local legend, this shell can only be found on this island. Finding one means your presence has been blessed.

That may sound simple but it isn’t! Once we were made aware of this type of shell we began a quest to find some or just one. But none were to be had. We definitely were not blessed. 

After researching the topic, I found a jewelry store that made sterling silver images of the shells. What would be better than the real shell but a great piece of jewelry! Of course, I visited the jewelry store to check it out. Needless to say, the silver shell became a birthday present a few months later. Plus the store gave me a real Pawleys Island shell with the purchase. This was especially nice since we had never found one.


Who would have known that those blasted horizontal lines would show up when we least expected them to show their curves across the front of a shell a few years later.

On a recent trip to Jekyll Island in Georgia, I found similar shells with the horizontal lines. How exciting. 


They were not exactly like the Pawleys Island shell but unique enough to make my day. There weren’t many of them but I found several that kept me searching during our stay.

I have always searched for specimens that are reminiscent of the beach to enjoy once we return home. It is so memorable to revisit the shells and think about where we had been and when we would go again.

I can’t write this blog without mentioning another sea treasure that is not so surprising or shocking--the sand dollar. 
For some reason, my husband has always valued it. He would give the grandchildren a monetary reward if they could find one. (Maybe because the name has the word dollar in it!!) They would bring in the oddest shapes and often smallest of contributions to his quest. Finding a whole one was never easy but the persistent searcher was rewarded nicely. 

This sea urchin sand dollar is often found in the water and not the bright white that is usually associated with the popular sea souvenir. It turns white as it dies and is no longer wet and part of the sea. Don’t take one unless it is dead--the back will not have any hairy protrusions and it will start to turn white.

On another recent trip to the beach, I came across some shells that were quite larger than the usual finds -- five by six inches. I couldn’t pass them up on my morning walk so I ended up filling my pockets and hands with what I was finding. Every few yards, I would find another. I managed to get them all back to the house, but that was the last time I found these monsters of the sea. 

No matter what I find on each trip, I enjoy every single one of them. I am not very knowledgeable about the scientific names, but I sure love them all. It is a delight once we return home to reflect on where we have been and where each shell was found. They seem to bring the peace of the ocean and the beach back to the top of Virginia.

Frances      

No comments:

Post a Comment