Sunday, May 10, 2020

253 Let the tears flow



Let the tears flow

I cry every day.
I cry for those working so hard on the front lines.
I cry for those who have lost loved ones.
I cry for those who have lost their jobs and are struggling to make ends meet.
I cry for the life we all had and may not have again.

I never know when the tears will flow.
Some mornings it happens when the numbers of deaths are announced.  Other times it is when emotional stories are shared. Tears are a relief that eases some of the pain of this pandemic that has stopped the world and changed lives forever. Stories of heroism feel our hearts with hopefulness that all will be better eventually. 

We remain somewhat safe here in Virginia so far, compared to other parts of the U.S., but Coronavirus cases and deaths are ongoing. A friend has been diagnosed and tested positive for COVID-19 but she is doing fine--not a serious case, thank goodness.






New York’s governor Andrew Cuomo is a beacon in the darkness, giving us calm, thoughtful messages in the middle of tragedy in his state. 

Virginia’s governor Ralph Northam is a soothing voice in uncertain times. He acted swiftly when the virus showed its head in other parts of the country, enacting shutdowns that helped slow the arrival here.

Maryland’s governor and District of Columbia’s mayor have also provided rational, resourceful voices in this time of uncertainty.

I take solace in all their messages and updates but can’t help but tear up as every day things are no longer commonplace.

Areas we visit often are closed with no time frame for change. Travel is put off indefinitely.  Even if areas do open, will we feel comfortable visiting?  I doubt it. Impactful stories that have resonated include the group of people who took action to get food that farmers could not harvest to those who need it. They are so impressive. I am in awe of those who can take action and accomplish amazing tasks.


Also, the many people who have sewed facial masks to help medical staff as well as average citizens--they are heroes!  These masks are a way of life for the foreseeable future.

Another group of heroes that deserve praise is a group of factory workers who stayed on the job for 28 days to make the material for protective gear! They resided there until the job was done.

So here we are now with businesses starting to open. Not sure if I will venture out to services I think I can live without. Others can’t wait to go to nail spas and beauty shops.  Good luck with that--hope everyone will stay safe.

I continue to cry some each day as the stories continue to unfold. have been far more patient than I ever thought I could be. I am adjusting to being home and not making plans while missing family and friends.  Phone calls, text messages, and FaceTime make it easier.  This new life is not anything we ever imagined, but I predict that it will get better, not as quickly as we would like. 

Feel free to join me in crying a little each day to help ease the pain and empathize with those who are on the front lines or who have lost loved ones.  I am eternally grateful!

Frances    


No comments:

Post a Comment