Sunday, March 22, 2015

034 Job interview







On Working in a Library

Now that I am retired, I can finally respond all those statements from library job candidates the way I really wanted to:


I like to read.

That’s nice but you will have no time at work for that! Instead, you need to like to talk about books.


I like the peace and serenity of libraries.

How long since you have been in a library? There are some quiet hideouts in libraries but you won’t find the librarians there. Do you have any experience in mental health facilities?






I like the smell of old books.

Fine, but you will have more interactions with computers than old books. How are you at webpage management?

I will be proud to call myself a librarian.

Those folks with the master’s degree in library science won’t call you a librarian. You will be a valued employee but not a librarian to them. But you can enjoy everyone else calling you a librarian.





I will get first dibs on all the best sellers.

Honey, you have to get in the queue just like everyone else.









I loved coming to the library with my children. I want to work with the kids.

Fine, just make sure you can pass the background check.





I know this is a part-time job, but you will see how great I am and I will become full-time and have a much higher salary.

You do realize that you are applying for a LIBRARY job?





I’d like to move to library administration so I don’t have to deal with people.

Well, all the complaints and personnel issues come here. And you need to be out raising funds, making friends, and sweetly asking politicians for money. Other than that you can avoid human contact.

The folks here are so wonderful. I would love to work with them.

Wait until you get to know them. We have all types just like any other profession, but you are right—they work here because they love it and it shows!




After airing all my complaints about common library misconceptions, I feel much better. I confess that I loved all 42 years of library work!

Trish      



No comments:

Post a Comment