Sunday, May 27, 2018

153 Value of 1835 book?

What is the value of an 1835 book?

I have said in previous blogs that I might be a trifle obsessive compulsive.

Maybe that is why I volunteer to help with the books at the Rotary Rummage Sale--the ultimate mess to put in order!

I am no longer a Rotarian, but it is for a good cause. This year's beneficiary is Blue Ridge Hospice.

Each year a bunch of books comes in on a different topic. Last year there was a good-sized collection of mushroom books. This year there are about 35 books on woodworking.

Then there are people who must believe any book is valuable, regardless of condition or maybe they just dump everything into a box. We receive wet, mildewed books, dog-chewed books, and other disgusting printed works. They go right to recycling! 

I picked up one old book, thinking it might have some value. I opened it to check the title page and nearly choked--it reeked of cigarette smoke! More recycling. I won't sell anything that I don't want to touch!

There is much sorting to be done so buyers can easily find what they want.

I am not a book collector or dealer who paws through donations looking for gems among the standard novels and nonfiction, but some titles do seem a little unusual.

One thing that jumps out is sets such as the Old West and Durant's Story of Civilization. Sometimes they have value especially if the set is complete. However, on sites such as Amazon.com and Abebooks.com, you will also see single volumes selling. The single book price is a good place to start on valuing the collection. 

I try to find books that described as being in similar condition as I search online. Then I price so a dealer can double or triple their profit.

Will anyone buy 43 Nancy Drew books?

I must have searched about 20 of the woodworking titles to find a few that could sell for more than $1. But then I searched a large paperback that had an attractive cover. It sells online for $56 in a similar condition. I priced it for $20.

Here are a few more teasers of what is coming in the rummage sale books:
Classics, some with special pricing.
Many great children's books

Neil Diamond is Forever sells for $38 on Amazon, $10.
There are also many audio-visual items for adults and children--DVDs. CDs. books on tape, and VCRs. Someone bought all the VCRs last year.

I wonder what will sell this year.

Oh, yes. The 1835 title. It sells for $1.98 online! Not everything old is valuable.

Book-savvy Trish         




No comments:

Post a Comment