Sunday, June 3, 2018

154 Cataracts gone!

Cataracts gone!

No more contacts, no more glasses --I can totally see without any eye gear whatsoever! This is the first time since I was in the third grade when I got my first pair of glasses to correct my vision. 

Now at the age of 72, you can do the math to figure the exact number of years I wore glasses and contacts.


Cataract surgery to remove the rascals that had been growing and causing my eyesight to be affected by blurriness and night driving difficulties is the reason for the drastic improvement in my eyesight.

The changes are subtle so you don’t really notice at first, but the annual eye exam keeps you informed of the progress of the growth of cataracts. This was the year when mine had reached the perfect spot to be removed.

The month of April was basically tied up with the surgery with a period of adjustment to follow.

While it is only in and out surgery, anesthesia is used to put you under somewhat. You are awake but feel no pain. All I remember is seeing some light and movement around my eye. It really was over quickly and I felt very little. Once the contact is out, a lens is put in to improve the vision.

Lucky me, they developed one that is similar to a bifocal or multifocal lens. Prior to that, you could either have distance or close up lenses. Or to really confuse the issue, you could have one for far vision and the other for close up. I had tried that once with contacts and did not like it.

This new lens does both distance and near vision. Of course, there has to be a downside --- insurance will not pay to the tune of almost $2,000 an eye. It would pay for the other lens but not the multifocal ones.

It didn’t take me long to decide I wanted the new and improved model. I was worth it and would make up the difference in the cost of not having to purchase glasses, contacts, solution, etc.

The problem is after the first one is removed, you have to wait two weeks to have the other one taken off and the new lens put in. I wore my contact for that two-week period but it was a little disorienting to have one eye with such clear, improved vision and the other not so much. I could not wait for those two weeks to go by!

But it was only two weeks and I knew how improved the vision would be so I had to suck it up and handle it.

There is some recovery time, and you are warned about being careful – try not to fall, don’t participate in contact sports, etc.

The restrictions are minimal compared to years back when patients had to stay in bed and not move their heads for at least 24 hours. Nothing like that is part of the process at this time. A recent episode of one of my favorite TV programs, “Call the Midwife,” addressed this very situation. An elderly nun had to go through the process which included an overnight stay at the hospital. Believe me, we have come a long way. 

Then there are the pesky drops that have to be used several times a day. Of course, they help the healing process and keep the eyes moist. The instructions are very detailed – use the pink top drops at certain times, the beige top at other times, the ointment, and shield at night. Otherwise, it is really pretty simple. 

However, I must admit I took advantage of all the styles and advancements in both eyeglasses and contacts over the years. I paid extra to have the glass lens made thinner and the bifocal line not to show. I also relished in the lens that turn dark when you go outside -- loved them. The frame styles were something I tried regularly --- from cat eyes to small granny glasses and then the large Hollywood look.

It was enjoyable at times to try the different frames, but contacts became so improved I could not resist. I even moved over to multifocal lens as they improved.

But believe me, the surgery had amazing results – waking up and seeing everything clearly, reading the small print, looking at a brighter world in more vibrant colors. I still reach to take off my glasses when I go to bed and try to find them to put on in the morning. I am sure that will subside soon.

If and when you are told you need this surgery, do not hesitate. It is worth the time, effort, and money!


No more contacts, Frances!

No comments:

Post a Comment