Sunday, July 22, 2018

161 Hating summer

5 Very Valid Reasons I Hate Summer!


*Mosquitos
I checked on Google. There is little to show that mosquitos are actually an important part of the food chain. A recent NPR podcast said that we could actually do without mosquitos!



If there is a mosquito in on our farm, she will find me--little bloodsucker! Yep, I have even tried the “hack” of a dryer sheet in my pocket. HA!







*Fair Skin and Sun Tans
Okay! Neither of these pictures is the perfect healthy summer look. Seems resting beer cans on one’s chest in the sun is not a bright idea, nor am I as pale as this gal.

Even I get slightly browner than the redhead on the right--but not by much. My most beautifully tanned feature is my left hand and up to my elbow from driving with the window down. Otherwise, I must strip for anyone to tell I have been out in the sun. 

Here is a true story: One summer our family went on an Aegean cruise. It was one of those with lots of historic stops. When I got home and went back to work a couple of weeks later, the office secretary greeted me with: “oh, Glenne, did it rain the whole time?” No, I did not hit her but I did not give her a souvenir miniature Greek vase either.

*Humidity
If the humidity edges up to 70% or higher, my body feels it. I feel like a sponge and according to my doctor, I sort of am. I perspire very little so all that extra moisture in the air just settles in me. My arthritis is worse, my fingers and joints feel tight. If it is REALLY HOT along with the humidity, my stomach hurts. Really hurts. Not a nice feeling. And it gives me a headache.




I see so many things out my window I want and should do--prune the roses, cuts some dead branches off the lilacs, whack out a partially dead boxwood, and, generally, just pull weeds. Okay, 15 minutes at a time with a bottle of water. That’s it!! Break time!!

And when my two pals, the other Savvy Broads, want to go for a walk--I am like whom are you kidding? Have a nice time!! I appreciate nature; I just don’t much want to be in it.

*Summer Foods and Markets--doesn’t that sound appealing? 
Fresh fruits and vegetables from a local garden. Yeah, uh-huh! Who is going to wash them? Prepare them? Clean up the mess? Get rid of the trash so we don’t have ants or those little pesky fruit flies. 

OH, YES, corn on the cob is a tasty treat. But I only buy it from one little stand where they will shuck it and clean off the hairy strands before I bring it home. And our Schnauzers will play with corn cobs and bury them if they can manage to snag one. Frankly, a rediscovered once buried corn cob is disgusting looking…all brown, dirty, and shriveled. 

I really am not entranced with “from garden-to-table.” And that is a lie in itself. Garden grown, then buy, bag, put in fridge, take out of fridge, clean, prepare, serve, and clean up! Many restaurants have great salads and good local food! Garden-to-table – literally!? Wouldn’t that be a hoot!!

*Parties, Summer Weddings, Family Get-togethers
So you know I am basically a non-summer miserable human being, I am reminding my friends and family to PLEASE not expect me to attend all of their events – planned or impromptu. I like seeing friends and family. I do not – ironically - do not want to not be invited. Just please understand if I don’t stay long. Not if they are outdoors! My stomach does not to like eat al fresco. Then the bugs will come find me. The children will rip and race and squeal as children should do but it bothers me when it is 95 degrees and with a heat index of 104! If I disappear, I hope you understand!

Good old Maxine cartoons always seem to say it for me:

Stay COOL! I will be inside reading a “beach” book!

                                     Glenne

No comments:

Post a Comment