Sunday, July 29, 2018

162 Whither mental maps?

Whither mental maps?

Over 30 years ago I wrote an article in which I explored the psychological literature on cognitive (or mental) maps to help librarians design the best library floorplan maps (known in the literature as YAH, you-are-here maps). 


The idea was to help students develop cognitive maps as a way to help them find their way around a complex college library.

Having a cognitive map enables individuals to see themselves in a building or landscape and therefore be able to find their way easily through the environment.

Ziggy always expressed it in a more existential
manner!
 

So my question is: Will anyone in the future be able to develop mental maps?

Last summer I was in a small town in Florida and wanted to find an atlas of the Orlando road system for a trip to the hospital for which we had to be on time. I wanted to be able to find alternate routes if I40 became blocked. The town has a Walmart, multiple drug stores but no Staples or bookstore. No store had a map or atlas! The store clerks universally explained to me that all you need is GPS.

I went on Google Maps and Mapquest and was able to print out step by step directions but the maps were too small (or too many if enlarged) for me to envision the route.

We all have heard many stories of GPS leading folks astray. So we took the trip with trepidation and, aside for a little misdirection in the route, got there in plenty of time. But I have little knowledge of the geography we passed through except that Orlando is east of the interstate and Disney is to the west. (Even though I40 is an east/west road, it runs north/south through Orlando--important to know!)

I did a recent search for research on cognitive maps and found no recent literature. Everything I found on mapping, in general, was only about computer maps.

I recently took a Facebook quiz on geography. I could not believe how easy it was. Maybe it was that way so we will all feel good about our geographical knowledge, but I'm not sure. A 2015 U.S. News & World Report article stated that kids geographical knowledge was bad and is getting worse.



Since my dad was in the military, we traveled across the country a few times. I loved to follow the trip on a map. But I bet nowadays there are no maps in cars for most kids to follow.

Does it matter that our cognitive mapping and geographical skills are rapidly declining? I don't know. But I would like to think so.













But give me a map any day over GPS instructions!


                             Wanting to be geographically savvy, Trish



No comments:

Post a Comment