Sunday, August 6, 2017

157 Fun words

Fun Words to Say

There are some words that are a joy. Saying aloud a particular combination of consonants and vowels can be as sumptuous as that first bite into a delicious, gooey chocolate!

I searched the Internet, of course, for a scientific name and explanation of this phenomenon and found none. This is a dissertation just waiting for an eager scholar! 

One explanation for a lack of research is that everyone seems to have different favorites. Of course, with the Internet, there are plenty of lists to be found under "words that are fun to say" and similar phrases. I looked at many lists; one list said Internet is fun to say. Huh?

There were a few words that showed up on several lists; some, but not all of them, were on my list.

Commonly Listed Fun Words to Say

Onomatopoeia
 

Unctuous

Kewi - this does not work for me
Hootenanny - also not on my list, but what a great pix!

Buckminsterfullerene - yes this was on a list, but just one list, and I had to share.

Some of my favorites

Jabberwocky 

Kerfuffle
Canoodle
Garganzola                                      
Medulla oblongata
Apoplectic 
  Use in a sentence: He was apolitical before the election; now he is apoplectic!
Goombah
Skedaddle
Conundrum
Circumlocution
Bumpershoot












It is very strange, but whenever Lakshmi Singh is reporting the news on NPR, I have to say her name out loud!

Actually, I had quite a few more words that I could add to the list but thought I would instead end with a list from Merriam Webster:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/top-10-funny-sounding-and-interesting-words
Do follow the link to see the interesting definitions and etymology of these words.

Bumfuzzle
Cattywampus
Gardyloo

Taradiddle
Billingsgate
Snickersnee
Widderships
Collywobbles
Gubbins
Diphthong

Ain't the English Language Grand!

What words do you love to tumble off your tongue?
Indubitably Savvy Trish       







No comments:

Post a Comment