Sunday, August 13, 2017

158 Erma Bombeck!


Erma Bombeck --- I miss you


Comic relief was always close at hand when Erma Bombeck’s column appeared in daily newspapers. She handled topics near and dear to all of our everyday lives. Nothing was off limits.




 

No one has come forward to take her place or come near to her level of expertise of sharing the comedy of everyday events. She left us far too early at the age of 69 in 1996 from complications of a kidney disease.

I remember being enthralled by her wit and wisdom which was simple and to the point. Her honesty must have driven family and friends totally bonkers. But I am sure her absence has created a chasm that cannot be filled.

I couldn’t wait until the next installment of her column arrived in the daily newspaper. Her reach was about 700 newspapers plus books, TV commentaries, and more.

Her writing helped me get through many of motherhoods trials and tribulations with humor and a little sarcasm. 



For example, “Housework can kill you if done right,” really resonates with most of us who usually give our homes a lick and a promise until we are smart enough to hire a cleaning person to handle the chores.

Motherhood and housewifery are very lonely jobs. It is hard to know if you are on target or totally off base. Erma cut through the crap and helped you see the reality of it all. No one is perfect and these jobs are extremely difficult.

Everyone who has been called mom can relate to this truism from Erma ---“Cleanliness is not next to godliness. It isn't even in the same neighborhood. No one has ever gotten a religious experience out of removing burned-on cheese from the grill of the toaster oven.”

Her advice always brought affirmation as I agreed most of the time --- “If a man watches three football games in a row, he should be declared legally dead.” Who can argue with this!!

No one has stepped up to the plate to fill the void left by this marvelous madam of mercurial humor. She could turn anything into a hilarious rant ---“My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first being hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint.”



Now as a grandmother, I would welcome her zany wit about this time of life that is glorious as well as reflective. What would she say about going through many parenting adventures a second time but more as an observer than a participant? Restraint is the key word and neutrality a second.

She reflected on the end of life in one of her works and said “When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.’ ”

I think we can all agree she definitely used what God gave her and then some.

One of her goals was stated as such, "My aim in life is to communicate with the greatest number of people I can and make them laugh at themselves." She definitely made this come true with her wide reach with a syndication to hundreds.

I miss you, Erma Bombeck!

Frances                


+ All words by Erma Bombeck are set off in quotes. No one could ever steal her words!!

No comments:

Post a Comment