Sunday, August 20, 2017

159 Random thoughts

Savvy Glenne’s Random Thoughts

This Week 

The computer may blow up. I have been on various trending sites, reading the news, and, above all trying to stay positive. Maybe the computer won’t blow up, but my mind might!

Okay, here are my random thoughts, queries, and minor disturbances this past week. I hope you will get a chuckle from some of them, shake your head along with me over others, and, perhaps, add to the list. (Parenthetically, thank you to those of you who responded to the School Uniforms blog – about 4 to 1 in favor of a uniform in light of the current teen fashions.)


1. The solar eclipse – once in a lifetime! Fun to follow the over 1000 places that are hosting viewing events (all 2-3 minutes of it) including the Nudie HonkyTonk in Tennessee. Along with the parties, there are a number of counties issuing alternate driving routes, safety precautions (glasses as well as bringing one’s own water, food, and first aid packs). Police and politicians are suggesting patience to folks who will be in the crowds. Will anyone be at work on Monday, the 21st?

2. Charlottesville – this is a ridiculous, heartbreaking occurrence. Seems to me that civil rights are not very civil anymore. Being a Wm & Mary graduate, although a somewhat frequent visitor to Charlottesville, I am bit surprised that many people gathered in the same place. I often get “sort of” lost in C’ville. Too many curves and circles and up hills and down for my left-handed, directionally-challenged brain. 

CNN photo in Charlottesville 
3. C’ville continued – I feel like it’s 1968 again. What’s with all these “groups” – cults, whatever they call themselves? Do they feel disassociated from the mainstream? Oh, wait a minute – what the heck is mainstream now? And vehicles are now popular weapons (remember Sweden and France, and Barcelona most recently).





4. Terrorism –“unlawful use of violence and intimidation against civilians, usually in the pursuit of political aims” is the dictionary.com definition. I am thinking that the statue in C’ville was an excuse, not the end goal of this melee. And, according to Facebook, Lexington, VA is their next target (home of Washington & Lee University and Virginia Military Institute). 

5. Home improvement – DO YOU ALL KNOW that sinks and doors do NOT necessarily come with the appropriate hardware for installation? We thought we’d update our storm/screen door with a doggie door. Looked great in the photo. When it arrived it had NO hinges and no handles AND NO GLASS INSERT for the screen. This was NOT made clear
in the specs. (note picture has a door knob) 





6. Home improvement continued - Also, one can purchase a sink/vanity with OR WITHOUT faucets or holes for said faucet and taps. This picture appears to have all its parts – imagine our surprise (stupidity) when no faucet, etc.! SO for three days workmen have come and gone and come and gone and come and gone to Lowe’s and Home Depot for these needed items. Gee, is there collusion between contractors and manufacturers? I can see the hourly cost going UP, UP, UP. Okay, maybe I was naïve, but I can’t believe that there are no other naïve folks out there….anyway, the screen (note, just a screen door) is awaiting a glass insert and the new non-leaking vanity and sink are in. Now, we just have a hole in the kitchen ceiling where the old sink leaked. I really like our new young contractor, but we REALLY need to learn how and about what to communicate! 

7. BBC news v American news (CNN, Fox, your choice) – I prefer my world news from the BBC. They tell you directly and succinctly what happened without a bevy of pundits telling you their thoughts. I like this. It is short and I can follow what and where it happened. I believe American networks should take a hint. “Just the facts, ma’am,” said Joe Friday on Dragnet.


8. Granddaughter #1 one and only – she, too, makes me smile. Not only is she adorable (of course, aren’t all grandchildren adorable), she is going to be the one who gives her parents a fit! Hahahahaha! At 15-months her words are not Mama or Dada but shoes, toes, cheese, and book. And she LOVES cell phones and remotes. I do believe the little demon’s hobby is reprogramming. Oh, I am loving it!! Déjà vu all over again. What goes around, comes around, and any other trite clichés that imply she is her mother’s little clone. Oh, my – daughter and son-in-law will find NYC law practice a breeze compared to this innocent looking little girl.



9. Friends – I fret over two of my best friends – one a recent widow who is trying to get all the financial “ducks in a row” along with grieving a very kind husband who was absolutely devoted to her and the other who is the ultimate grandmother whose grandchildren are now all in school but now has her elderly parents to monitor, cook for, and care for. Seems we hit late middle age (or early old age) and all the AARP articles are beginning to have meaning. I DO NOT LIKE THIS. 


I do not like what gravity is doing to my body. I am beginning to HATE salads. I want red meat, fries, and sugar. SHAME ON ME! 






10. Procrastination – I feel guilty about all the things I need to do (like clean out the closets, tidy the laundry room, throw away OLD files). At night, my mind makes a list of what I mean to do the next day. The phone rings – “oh, substitute teach” – SURE; go out to lunch? SURE. I really should have a yard sale – stuff, lots and lots of stuff – that no family member will likely want. 

I heard a couple of days ago a podcast by appraisers on Antiques Roadshow. Solid wood furniture, antique furniture, crystal, and silverware are off by as much as 75%. Boomers are glutting the market by downsizing and Millennials are just not interested. OH, DEAR! Anyone interested in mahogany banquet table? Everything in our house is OLD and/or inherited! What are we going to do with these wonderful old pieces that are worth now next to nothing??

So, dear readers, I am hoping the eclipse brings calm, quiet, and better thoughts! How are you all holding up?

Glenne                                    

2 comments:

  1. Hi Glenne, My friend Mary Froehlick forwarded your blog to me. Nice to hear what you're doing. I was Martha Leech's roommate for two years, as you probably remember. Lynn and I live in Lexington, VA now. Mary and I have been friends since 7th grade. Enjoyed your blog and have been having a lot of the same thoughts lately. Happy writing! Carol Pearn Dent

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete