Sunday, August 27, 2017

160 Oh, the weekend!

Weekends with C-Span & Science Fridays!

When I was a working stiff, I used to look forward to weekends as a respite from work, a time to do laundry and to have some fun.

Now that I am retired I can do laundry any day of the week--oh, joy. And fun activities can also happen anytime.





So now I look forward to Friday afternoons with Ira Flatow! He hosts Science Friday on National Public Radio. 


I am not a science geek, but somehow he makes all sorts of topics interesting--perhaps because his questions are similar to what I might ask. Whether it's a new idea to save the environment, break-through health news or some esoteric basic science discussion, I can follow and appreciate the conversation.

On Saturday and Sunday, I alternate between American History TV and Book TV on C-Span. Of course, while Congress is not in session, C-Span runs repeats of earlier programs so I can view a missed program or watch an especially good segment again.

American History is my favorite. Ever since the Sesquicentennial, they have been especially strong in covering the Civil War. They broadcast live from the Gettysburg conference and from other Civil War 
meetings such as a recent one on the Shenandoah Valley at the University of Virginia.


You notice that the number of views is shown in the text above. You can go back and view all programs online. We have discovered or checked out speakers and authors for One Book, One Community by watching them on a previous televised program, either on American History TV or Book TV. 

Look at the list of topics for one day on American History TV.


C-Span's Cities Tour features a new city each week and concentrates on its unique features and history. 
Similar to Winchester, every city has a fascinating history and historical characters. Cities that I never dreamed of visiting have great stories. I think they need to come to Winchester!

Other features on American History TV include Reel American, old documentary-style videos; American Artifacts, descriptions of manuscripts and objects in libraries and museums around the country; the Presidency; First Ladies; and Lectures in History, a college professor delivering a lecture before a class. As with all presentations, some can be unbelievably boring, but most are not. Regular C-Span has a program Landmark Cases of the Supreme Court that also airs on American History TV. It is excellent--most of the time!

I am more picky about what I watch on Book TV. Many broadcasts feature authors speaking about their books in bookstores or other venues such as libraries and museums. The Winchester Book Gallery has hosted some Book TV speakers but I don' believe any have been recorded recently. In Depth and After Words are longer programs that I find a little too long unless it is a really great author such as David McCullough.

They also televise live from book fairs, including the National Book Fair.
Now that the History Channel and The Learning Channel--really that's what TLC was once called--seem to aim most of their programs at teenage boys, there isn't much good weekday viewing except PBS and sometimes the Smithsonian channel. That isn't all bad--I don't want to watch TV ALL the time. So it is Weekends with C-Span for me! And Science Friday!

Trish       





No comments:

Post a Comment