Sunday, December 29, 2019

235 My wish for 2020

MY WISH* for 2020 (*a sort of New Year’s Resolution) 

New Year’s Resolutions were always sort of a joke in our family. We were all going to be healthier, wealthier, and wiser. I think that sometimes these ideals would last until then end of January. More vegetables, fewer carbs. Oh, well, I guess our hearts were in the right place.

I do think, dear readers, that after all these years, I have some concerns that are worthy and would do me good to attempt improvement, but I have few passions. 

Miss America was on TV on the 19th of December (Miss Virginia, by the way, won this year). The aims of these young women are the same as they have been since I started watching the show as a teen: world peace, eradicate poverty, hunger, and provide quality education for all. I spent 30 plus years trying to aid in the education part, but I have had no tiara or beaded gown. I may have had a few successes with students. I may never know. Good luck, Miss America!

A librarian I was and am. Retired from being a school librarian, it is now my privilege to work part-time in a superior public library archives--the Stewart Bell, Jr. Archives of the Handley Regional Library. Working here has shown me that I am still passionate about the written word. It must be preserved and I don’t know how to do it! 

As I read/listen to the news each day, I am more and more concerned about the loss of newspapers. The Archives is filled with years (more than 150 years) of news reporting of our regional area. 

Interior workroom at the
Archives–example of
 boxes of written
records and photos 
Researchers depend on these microfilms, discs, and USB sticks of articles – many of them genealogical. And bless the Byrd family for giving to the Archives much of their archival holdings that did not convey to the new owners of The Winchester Star.

Here are some horrible facts for those of us who value local news: over 2000 American newspapers have shut their doors – almost all are local papers in the past decade (247WallSt.com). “More than 200 counties of the 3,143 counties in the United States [are] without any paper” (usnewsdeserts.com/reports). 

In many of these rural or suburban communities, the only reliable source of news and information was the local daily or weekly paper. The same article goes on to report that about “60% of these rural residents lack affordable high-speed access to wireless service” that would allow quick, efficient news.


Since before the United States became the United States, local news broadsheets kept communities informed and engaged. They held the popular and powerful to some account. The loss of local journalism is straining the fabric of our society. (Sorry, if I am “preaching to the choir.”)

Without local news reporting, elections become more about who has more money than about the issues. The public cannot be engaged in what is happening if not for news stories: e.g. how the town council voted on an issue (were the citizens even aware there was an issue?); a proposed tax increase; a new housing development; calendars of local events; sports; and, of course, the births, deaths, and marriages. 

The Columbia Journalism Review (accessed 12/26/19) reported, “a full 38 percent of Americans do not often access any local news at all.” How very, very sad, and how very, very scary.

I saved an 
article from the New York Times, Sunday, December 22, 2019, National News section, p. 29. It is titled “When a Newspaper Folds: A Community Does Not Know Itself.” Reporter Lara Takenaga amassed readers’ letters about their closed papers. In her introduction, she noted that not only do the readers no longer know what’s happening in their communities, but that the number of journalists in the country has been cut in half. IN HALF! 

We may remember from school days that journalism was the “Fourth Estate.” The first three were the clergy, the nobility, and the commoners. It was this fourth estate that kept everyone alert to what was happening in their milieu. Now apparently there is a FIFTH ESTATE. It is defined by Wikipedia as outlier journalists and bloggers who publish and have found a following on social media. Thank you, but I do not want my news from Twitter and Facebook. 

Please notice, too, the change in the many corner newsstands in NYC. The written word takes up little space any more. I admit to loving the trashy gossip on Page Six of the New York Post! I may have to subscribe….

So, readers, my resolution, with attached wish, is to research what can be done or is being done to help save true, investigative journalism by reliable people for community readers. If anyone has any ideas in- or out-of-the-box, maybe together we can find something. I hope so.

Happy, healthy 2020 to all!!

Savvy Glenne           


No comments:

Post a Comment