Sunday, March 8, 2020

244 Miscellaneous


Miscellaneous Thoughts 

Hello, Readers. First, a thank you to Teri Merrill for being out guest blogger last week. I liked and identified with the Merrill’s family games. I wanted to offer her a word our family uses: ASSORTERATE. This created word means to our family--get it sorted, get it in priority order, and with the right tone of voice, also means “how about doing it now.” Dear husband and I are beginning to assorterate--getting ready to go to our accountant for the annual tax appointment. We have piles and folders. The folders become filled; the piles begin to diminish. Good feeling!

Next, I wonder with all the political news and ads, why, when I went to the polls to vote in Virginia’s Super Tuesday, there were only three (3) voters there in the space that was for two precincts.

I had expected the Republicans to make a big concerted effort to get all their people out to vote for the Democratic candidate they felt was the weakest against Trump. And, as you may remember, last Tuesday was a 64-degree, sunny afternoon before a brief thunderstorm. Where was everyone? Do we not exercise our right (and responsibility) of voting? Do people in my home area feel Trump is a “slam, dunk” and no need to participate? Leaves me wondering. 

Then, I read on AOL’s news of the day that superb New York Yankee Derek Jeter’s first jersey with the Yankees sold at Goldin Auctions for $369,000!

When you read below, I don’t think the game sounds particularly impressive.

“The grey away jersey sold for a whopping $369,000. The jersey includes an autograph and a handwritten note that reads, "Game-used 5-29-95 MLB debut." Jeter wore this very jersey back in 1995 on May 29 against the Seattle Mariners at the Kingdome. The Yankees lost that game 8-7 in 12 innings. Jeter, who was 21 at the time, went 0 for 5 with a strikeout and started at shortstop because Tony Fernandez was on the disabled list.” (CBSsport.com/MLB/news, 2/25/20)

Sometimes – maybe too often – I feel out of control of what happens in my life. For instance, our bank. If the first of the month falls on a holiday or a Sunday, the pending deposit shows up the next business day, but is still pending until the following day. If I am due my money on the first day of the month, I truly would like it to be there on the FIRST OF THE MONTH. A computer program is running my financial life. 

I called the bank: “Sorry, that’s the way our program is set up.” I had no late charges, but I was miffed at how my money seems not my own. If every deposit were NOT direct deposit, I think I would put the proverbial sock under the mattress. Then there is our pharmacy who can’t seem to understand that I do NOT want automatic refills. Every month they call; every month I talk to a human (after listening to much music and ads) to tell them to take me off of auto-refill. How many times do I need to do this???

What to do about dinner? I hate to cook. If there were a room in our house I could live without, it would be the kitchen. A small refrigerator would suffice. Dear husband is a little better than I about this but not much! 


 At about 5:30 p.m. each evening, we look at one another and ask “What do you want for dinner?” The standard replies are either “I don’t know” or “I don’t care.” I am “saladed (is that word?) out.” No, thank you anyway, don’t send me recipes to cook ahead of time and freeze. I do NOT want to go to the grocery store either.

 I would like to invest in a fast-food, drive-through with nutritious inexpensive food. We share pizzas, eat Chinese (two nights each from our orders), and sometimes soup and sandwiches. 

I wish our area has what NYC has: daughter and son-in-law don’t cook at all (in fact, I think our daughter keeps high heels that don’t fit the shoe rack in the oven). They have a big folder on their computer and just tap in what they want for the evening. Half an hour later, there it is – a decent dinner at the door! Hmmmpf! I am jealous. 

Well, it’s 6 p.m. Guess I will head to the kitchen!

Glenne           











No comments:

Post a Comment