Sunday, March 22, 2020

246 Tremendous tree

Tremendous tree 

I had longed to see the Angel Oak Tree in St. John’s Island, S.C. for many years. Not sure how I had heard about it, but I could not get it out of my mind after seeing photos.

A professed tree hugger, I would plan to visit it every time we went to the beach in South Carolina--usually four or five times a year. But we never made it. It was too long a drive (about an hour from where we were staying), too much traffic, etc. Finally, I made it!


We decided to head to Jekyll Island, Ga. a few weeks ago. I knew we would go near the beloved tree so I made sure it was part of the trip. Believe me, it did not disappoint. Even my husband who is not easily impressed was taken by the enormity and condition of the amazing oak.

It sits closer to the road than I thought it would, but it was an easy drive with enough parking surrounding the area. It is enclosed by a fence, and the park is free and open to the public.
Branches cascade from the mighty tree to the ground often propped up by timbers and poles. It measures 28 feet in circumference and is 66.5 feet tall. From tip to tip, its longest branch distance is 187 feet, according to angeloaktree.com. It produces shade that covers 17,200 square feet. 

It is hard to get a true feel for size and circumference when visiting the site. All we could say was how really huge and amazing it is. We were not alone as we took in the wonder of the amazing oak--it is estimated that 40,000 people visit the site each year. 

The age of the tree is estimated from 400 to 500 years old and is thought to be one of the oldest living objects in the country. Others think it could be 1,500 years old but no one knows for sure.

A volunteer told us it was originally part of a plantation and the owners worked vigorously to kept the tree alive. The property now belongs to the City of Charleston, S.C. who oversees the care of the majestic tree, which has survived hurricanes and other natural disasters.

The land was originally part of Abraham Waight’s 1717 land grant. One source says its name comes from the Angel Estate, owned by Justus and Martha Waight Angel. Others say the ghosts of former slaves appear as angels around the tree, according to atlasobscura.com. 


A small gift shop is located on the property and workers lovingly provide information and insight into the history of the oak. I made sure to bring back items that would remind me of the visit I had so anticipated, as well as donating to the preservation of the live oak tree.


Volunteers also man the area around the tree so it is well protected. I did not want to leave, but we had to get on our way. 

Definitely worth a stop if headed south. It doesn’t take long but is one tree that cannot be forgotten.

For more information, visit angeloaktree.com.

Frances

No comments:

Post a Comment