Sunday, March 29, 2020

247 Our quarantine


Our Quarantine 

No, thankfully, we are not sick and have no signs of Covid-19! 

Knock on wood--I probably just jinxed us. We hope you will identify with some of the smart (i.e. savvy) things we are doing and some things that are downright stupid.
I have been on Amazon far too often in the past two weeks. BUT we do not have to go to the grocery store. Amazon delivers. Schwan Foods delivers! Sheetz for gas and junque food and a drive-through McDonalds for a wonderful soda fountain diet Coke (why do sodas taste better from a fountain?)

Picture this scenario. I bet I make you laugh! I bought new toilet brushes for the bathrooms. I started by cleaning the tiny little toilet and sink bathroom built underneath the stairs (you remember, house 1808 – no closets, no amenities, but charming). I even cleaned the floor with Clorox wipes, the sink, the faucet, the hot and cold taps, wiped down the baseboards as well. I wore rubber gloves. Go, Glenne! How smart of you.

HA! I threw all the wipes and a couple of old magazines that had found their way to this tiny bathroom into the trash can. Pealed off the rubber gloves. Threw them into the trash can. Picked up the trash can, took it to the porch and dumped the contents into a large garbage bag. This did not seem very smart. I threw away the gloves before I emptied the trash. 

I went back to the bathroom and sang Happy Birthday to each dog who sat watching my every move. No more paper towels in the bathroom. What did the Savvy Board do? Wiped my hands on the back of my sweat pants. OH, how very bright. Who knows what viruses or dirt or dust was collected in the fabric? I washed my hands in the kitchen sink this time.


New gloves! Back to the porch to retrieve the garbage bag to tie up to take to the dumpster. Well, just guess who are playing in the trash? You got it in one! The pups had trash strewn all over the porch as the bag had both kitchen and bathroom debris. Bogie, the younger, was licking a microwave throw away pan and Max was playing roll the empty dog food can. Across the rug were bits and pieces of the Clorox wipes.

Okay, put the dogs out and shut the door on them. (ha! No doggie door available for a bit.) With the new gloves on, got another garbage bag, picked up all the trash, sprayed the rug and gave it a quick vacuum. That’s it! No more cleaning for me for a bit. Another day, MAYBE another room. I don’t like housework, anyway.
In the meantime, dear husband and I are being really conscious of the six-foot rule. One hug while holding our breath at bedtime and no kissing. Six feet is the approximate width of your car, the height of a door, and an extended arm by each of two people. 



And, of course, never touch your face. That is SO HARD not to do. I estimate 25 times I rubbed an eye, brushed back my hair, rubbed my nose, pushed up my glasses. Wow! As I became conscious of these automatic tics, I am really surprised we don’t have more diseases.


I have switched back to storage room clean out. That will likely be the next blog. LOTS of old stuff collected from three generations. Nothing valuable so far, but interesting to us. I am reading an 1881 history of New York City that must have belonged to dear husband’s grandmother. 

To all of our readers and friends, stay safe, and let us know how you are spending your time. We’d love to hear from you!

The best to each of you, 

Savvy (or not-so-savvy) Glenne            

p.s. Is it ironic that this is the Chinese Year of the Rat?

No comments:

Post a Comment